Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The grass is always greener...

1. Back To Top    #1

The grass is always greener...

Now that the hectic busy summer season is slowing down, I thought it would be a good time ask everyone, if you had to build your pool again, what would you do different. Lets say you moved to a new house without an existing pool. Would you stick with the same type construction (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass), same or different style (sports, social, freeform general, etc.) Also would you have more or less of the bells and whistles (automation, color change lighting, in floor cleaning, water features, etc.) Anything else, like have it closer / farther from the house, with or without this type of stone / tile or that, ... and just saying bigger is not a fair answer and I don't think anyone here has ever said I wish my pool was smaller.

Also please say if your reasoning is based on a change of lifestyle (kids bigger / grown, etc.)

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The grass is always greener...

I would get whichever type of pool that would give me diving room. Deeper *is* better! Otherwise I'm very happy with my fiberglass pool.

I'd know now to ask for pavers or at least stamped concrete. I regret that our PB didn't try to upsell me on that. I would have bitten

I'm very happy to have minimal bells and whistles automation wise...less to break down or pay for. My simple, practical Intermatic timer is enough.

I'm disappointed in the Savi Melody LED lights- not bright enough...and who really needs seizure inducing color changes to the music beat???
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Very little actually if I was doing a pool in the same space. If I had unlimited space, I'd make a second pool as a lap pool, about 8 feet wide and about 25 yards long (Olympic short) and about 6 feet deep and you'd never see me again because I would just swim laps to my hearts content.

One thing I would never do different. I would never put decking around the pool. Grass and landscaping for me 100000% of the time. 'Hate' decking.

Quite happy with the level of automation we have which is medium to high? Not really sure how to judge that.

Perfectly and delightfully happy with the flagstone coping as well.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would LOVE to be able to do it again.

My move and lifestyle would be due to winning the lottery which by the way, I plan on happening on Saturday! haha! Or if I moved because of work.

I would go gunite. Pebble Sheen that would provide a caribbean aqua color.
    40 x 20 freeform 8 ft deep
    Tanning Shelf and benches with bubblers or returns over them to blow off the dirt. Several more returns for circulation.
    Spa with a water feature table in the middle of it. If I want water shooting up from the middle of the table, turn the valve on. If I need a place to sit my margarita or cold beer, turn the valve off.
    I like the 1 inch square glass tiles that Ive seen on other spas in Under Construction. I would like to do that.
    LED lighting
    Pentair VS Pump, Big Cartridge Filter and SWG. No automation. Built in timers on the pump, and Intermatic on the SWG and pool lights.
    Smallish Grotto on deep end with so I could dive off the top of it
    Saltwater because its just super easy and I am naturally lazy and saltwater just feels great to boot.
    Tumbled Travertine Deck, sealed for dry natural appearance
    Palapa for shade with Bar and TV lounging area
    3 skimmers
    Main Drain w/ Hydrostatic valve
    all returns, skimmers, drains, etc, plumbed individually to the equipment pad
    Vacuum to waste line/ valve between the pump and Cartridge filter
    Jandy valves on every plumbing line
    Dolphin Robot

I would be the builder
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would stick with diving pool, slide, sand-filter, and auto-cover. I would lose the uni-lock pavers unless I could do it without sand grout. Looks great, but way too much sand-grout gets in the pool. I would enlarge my deck area, and keep my lush plantings a little farther away from the water.

6. Back To Top    #6

We love our play/sport pool. No regrets on that.

We love
    Saltwater
    Solar and solar controller
    VS pump
    pebblesheen
    sunshelf
    Waterfall
    Not much automation
    Separate hot tub on the patio and not built in the pool

We missed
    A prime place to add one more bench
    Deeper sun shelf, maybe 9ish instead of 6ish
    Ditch the 3.5' and go 4'x5'x4'

I will not say bigger, it is enough to brush as it is and we've never needed more room even with a herd of people. But, the play pool allows everyone to spread out and still stand up. Sometimes we make a kid side and an adult side.

I might
    Switch from flagstone coping to something concrete because flagstone is HOT!
    Switch from cartridge to sand filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd go with rectangular vs. Grecian and have an auto cover.
    I'd stick with the diving pool.
    I have no automation now other than an Intermatic timer. Thought I'd add more, but I just check the temperature and open or close the valve to the solar. So I guess I wouldn't automate.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, This is an interesting mix of replies so far
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Buy a house that already has a pool. Pretty good chance you will get it for free
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd add a hot tub, LED lighting, and more glass tile accents.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

I like mine the way it is, but my son would like it deeper and a high dive.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit