Green water

Jul 11, 2015
Cypress, Tx
I don't have a TF-100 test kit, or anything like it. I don't plan on investing in one this late in the season. My question is for anyone that does not feel compelled to first advise I purchase such a kit. I just want to give my kids a little bit of fun before we have to take the pool down. I can tell you now that this is the one and only summer my kids will have had the experience of a pool in their backyard. After this, it's going in the trash. I will not do this again. I have spent so much money and what feels like all of my time trying to manage this small, cheap pool and can count on one hand the number of times I have allowed my kids to swim in it for fear that unbalanced water levels might harm them in one way or another. :rant:

With that being said, I realize there are no simple answers where chemistry is concerned, but I hope there might be simple suggestions. What I do know is that my chlorine is 1-2 and my pH is 7.8.

I'm sad, I'm burned out (and can't use my pool to cool off.):brickwall:

Oh, and :lovetfp:

I am sorry you feel this way, but there is no need for a pool to be such a headache, however to manage it without a proper test kit is sort of like trying to drive a car without a speedometer, mirrors or headlights. You might get where your going but there are likely to be a few mystery bumps along the way, and the odd unexpected expense or 12.

Having said that there are not simple cheap fixes, the easiest may be to drain and refill and follow the seasonal pool guide, which will likely get you through the rest of the swim season providing you follow the initial blind dosing start up instructions carefully, and test and adjust the pool water daily. If you are not willing to or can't do that, drain it now and take the kids to Schlitterbahn on the weekends.

We try to help everyone, but we cannot help those who will not help themselves. Without a proper test kit it doesn't work and I can say without a single drop of exaggeration that if you had listened to that advice a month ago you would have been using the pool for the past 2 weeks with zero headache. The methods here are very simple and not difficult to get the hang of. To get upset at those offering assistance because they dare to ask you for accurate test results before giving advice?

Drain it and enjoy the rest of your summer.

This method worked for,my smaller pool. I put up a 26' ultra frame the beginning of July and I haven't spent more than $40. on ALL of the chemicals I put in, including stabilizer. It doesn't have to be expensive. But for it to work, you have to follow ALL of the methods taught here. It works, no matter the size of the pool. The not to be mentioned kit usually costs less than one trip to the pool store when you are fighting green.

I don't have a TF-100 test kit, or anything like it. I don't plan on investing in one this late in the season. My question is for anyone that does not feel compelled to first advise I purchase such a kit. I just want to give my kids a little bit of fun before we have to take the pool down. I can tell you now that this is the one and only summer my kids will have had the experience of a pool in their backyard. After this, it's going in the trash. I will not do this again. I have spent so much money and what feels like all of my time trying to manage this small, cheap pool and can count on one hand the number of times I have allowed my kids to swim in it for fear that unbalanced water levels might harm them in one way or another. :rant:

With that being said, I realize there are no simple answers where chemistry is concerned, but I hope there might be simple suggestions. What I do know is that my chlorine is 1-2 and my pH is 7.8.
Given the constraints you place - no suggestion of competent test kit allowed, and simple suggestions only - drain, scrub every nook and cranny of the pool with a dilute bleach mixture, then refill and closely follow instructions in the guide to seasonal/temporary pools that someone linked earlier. Continue to follow those instructions closely on a daily basis.

You can get by with a basic 6-way test kit from Wal Mart just so long as you are diligent enough so that you NEVER have an algae bloom.

But once you get algae, a basic test kit does not measure free chlorine to the levels necessary to perform a SLAM, so at that point you are operating blind and are screwed.

So drain, scrub and refill. Bring your CYA up to 30 ppm and keep your chlorine at 5 ppm and NEVER let it fall below that and you should be able to get by. This is a higher chlorine level than normally recommended for that CYA, but I'm padding it so that you don't drop below the minimum, since that means "Game Over" without a good test kit.

I agree with all of the advice stated here already. My grandfather (who was a Seabee in the Navy) always taught me you have to have the right tools for the job or the job will be more difficult. Since you don't want to invest money in your kid's health and safety (okay, so that's how I would justify it in my own head...read this: Health Effects of Swimming Pool Algae | LIVESTRONG.COM), then you will need to invest your time and effort in a full clean and refill like Jeff stated, which unfortunately is what you have done...I can tell you are almost at your wits-end and that makes me sad. Not sure how old your kids are, but you could also turn it into a "home Chemistry" lesson for them. Kids just love watching water change colors!

BTW, isn't 1-2 ppm Chlorine too low? Especially for TX. I live in FL and the algae around here love the hot weather. Check our the Handy Reference section to determine what the proper level is after you put the effort into it to ensure you don't go down the same path as before. Who knows...you might be willing to give it a try next year if the next few months are better.

Whatever you wish to do...I wish you luck, my friend!

Oh Essjay..... I feel so badly for you and your kids! But especially for your frustration!!!! It's an awful way to feel - I know, I've been there with different things.

I'm in Cypress, also. My pool has been filled for 3 weeks, so obviously, I'm a newbie. From what I read above, it sounds like you have to drain the pool and refill.

What I thought I'd offer is this: my son and I could come help you scrub the pool before you refill. THEN..... once it's filled, I can come use my test kit (from TFP) and help run some tests and add chemicals. I'm comfortable with the easy stuff like chlorine and pH. This would give me even more practice. The pool builder's guy who still comes to check the pool until they release me says I have best pool water of any of his customers! I'm on my way to being an expert! Well, I hope! LOL!!! And as anything else pops up, all we (I) have to do is ask on here. I even have extra chlorine, stabilizer, muriatic acid, and borax that I'd love to share with you. (I over-bought thinking this would all be harder than it has been.... that's a newbie for you!)

Maybe this would let your kiddos swim through September if not longer. It's a great way for them to burn off energy after school. And if you have a minute to yourself (I don't know the ages of your kids), a 15 minute float on water does wonders.

I realize it may be too late to get rid of the bad taste you have about pools (and I can understand why!!!!), but you never know what a little bit of teamwork can do, right?!

I'm retired so most days, I could work around your schedule. I'm not a weird stalker or anything. I know, you can't take my word for it, but I think there are some people who have followed my build thread and would vouch for me. And if you'd be more comfortable with more distant support, I'll invest in the kit for you to use. If you still want to get rid of the pool, I'll take it back and use it myself. It's a win-win for me..... Either I get the joy of knowing kids will get more than one season of pool fun (I'm a retired elementary teacher from CFISD) which is big for me cuz I don't have students anymore or even grandchildren, OR I will have the test kit stuff to replace mine as it is used up!!!

Think about it, but I understand if you've already decided to move on.

All the best!
Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I meant to let you know, it was a very kind TFP member who told me about your post. He has seen my build thread and noticed I'm also from Cypress and thought we might make our proximity work. I didn't ask his permission to give his username, so I won't. But his private message to me about your post really speaks volumes about what a great group of people are on this forum!!!

Hugs,
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.