Sand filter woes

Jul 31, 2015
jefferson
I recently bought a 2800gpm intex sand filter, the filter works awesome and the water is night and day compared when running the cartridge filter that came with the pool. The problem I've been having is with the sand. I bought sand from home depot, the quickrete brand. I kept finding sand at the bottom of my pool for some reason (water was still crystal clear.) I emptied the sand and washed the filter as well as everything inside, went to leslies pool and got some silica from them. I noticed after I loaded the sand and backwashed I was still getting a lot of sand coming through the backwash hose. I turned it to rinse and backwashed again, less sand but decided to run the outgoing line through the old cartridge filter to try and eliminate sand from coming in. I am now getting a little sand in the pool, not as much as before but it's still there and the water is still clear. This is driving me crazy, I read somewhere in these forums someone recommend HTH brand but I cannot find it anywhere!

This thread should interest you. It appears to me that there have been several reports over the years of Quikrete Pool Sand not being gyp to specs, This thread pretty much confirms that. My findings on how not all sand is created equal

I read that post earlier, I cannot find the HTH sand anywhere and wanted to see what other sand people have had good luck with. I also saw someone was in the New Orleans area and was hoping they could point me in the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you backwash the sand thoroughly before you turned it to Filter the first time?

I backwashed enough to lose 2-3 inches from my pool, I figured that was enough, switched to rinse and backwashed another 45 seconds or so.

I recently bought a 2800gpm intex sand filter, the filter works awesome and the water is night and day compared when running the cartridge filter that came with the pool. The problem I've been having is with the sand. I bought sand from home depot, the quickrete brand. I kept finding sand at the bottom of my pool for some reason (water was still crystal clear.) I emptied the sand and washed the filter as well as everything inside, went to leslies pool and got some silica from them. I noticed after I loaded the sand and backwashed I was still getting a lot of sand coming through the backwash hose. I turned it to rinse and backwashed again, less sand but decided to run the outgoing line through the old cartridge filter to try and eliminate sand from coming in. I am now getting a little sand in the pool, not as much as before but it's still there and the water is still clear. This is driving me crazy, I read somewhere in these forums someone recommend HTH brand but I

cannot find it anywhere!
I found my HTH sand at Ace Hardware

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I had this happen to me also when we first received the sand filter, I watched a couple of you tube videos, I left out a step, after vacuuming I would backwash and switch to filter,I would get sand and a lot of it. **Now I vaccuum , backwash till sight glass is clear, turn pump off, move the valve to rinse position, let run for about minute, this settles the sand,turn off pump, move valve lever to filter, all good. hope this helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.