Aug 17, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

We purchased a home almost a year and I haven't had to do too much (acid / shock etc) and it's being going fine... considering I haven't had any experience at all.

I did have to contend with a dirty pool, which thankfully turned out to be that the filter needed a backwash. I was so happy! :D

Now in Phoenix the weather has been horrendous (115o heat) so the guys at Leslies are saying other people are having issues.

Anyways everything has been going fine until I had to shock the pool. And it's been cloudy since... well at least the deep end is.

I have my chemicals balanced. I have backwashed my filter again because the PSI was at 28, now it's 14-16.

I have used Leslie's suggestion of Ultra Brite and that helped but while the shallow end looks clear, the deep end doesn't. I can't see my drain as clear as I would normally see it.

The previous owners did not specify what if any work has been done to the filter so I'm leaning towards that. Is there anything I can do before I have to replace my sand?

Welcome CapM,

While you may well have some filtering issues, it could likely be chemical balance, but we need some particulars about the specific numbers you say are balanced. Do you have the latest set they gave you? Although they may be helpful, we trust our own testing more than pool stores, because so many are off by quite a lot much of the time.

Welcome CapM,

While you may well have some filtering issues, it could likely be chemical balance, but we need some particulars about the specific numbers you say are balanced. Do you have the latest set they gave you? Although they may be helpful, we trust our own testing more than pool stores, because so many are off by quite a lot much of the time.

This was from 9th August:
FAC = 5
TAC = 5
CH = 600
CYA = 90
TA = 120
pH = 7.6
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
TDS = 1200
Pho = 200

Considering that the TAC and FAC has always been 0 when I test it this has been the highest in 10 hours.
I have added PhosFree recently and 1/4qt liquid acid in.

You are going to receive some very good advice here on this website. First things first, get yourself a proper test kit. You will have the most accurate test results and avoid being badgered into purchasing chemicals you just do not need from the pool store. Read around on this site and become intimate with Pool School and the TFPC for beginners forum. Your CYA level determines how high your FC must be to prevent algae and other problems. I have been following the advice on this site and using my Taylor K2006 test kit since opening my pool and have had no problems or headaches with my pool. Visitors and guests have commented on the clarity and sparkle my pool always has. Thanks for joining this forum. You can only move up from here!!

Your chemistry may very well be out of whack. What Pool Stores often consider "good" test results, we here at TFP often don't. So you really, REALLY need to start doing your own tests to determine how things are in the water.

While you ponder this, you could try putting a little DE in to your sand filter to help trap some of the cloudiness. It has to be done with care so as to not add too much, and it will be flushed out at the next backwash. Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.