Coping with best heat absorption tolerance

egblue

Jun 6, 2015
Tarzana
Looking to build our pool and sifting through the many material options. Is there a recommended coping material that works well with salt system that does not absorb a lot of heat?
We are in Southern California and walking barefoot on super-hot coping is not ideal.

Thanks in advance!

- Ran

Concrete. Our concrete deck is noticeably cooler than every rock surface around our pool. We can stand in the concrete deck most of the time when we can't stand on the flagstone, sandstone or retaining wall rocks.

Even with concrete, it depends on its thickness. We have thick concrete coping 3.5" thick and these blocks get very hot. Our troweled concrete that is made to look like flagstone is not hot because it is much thinner, but I don't know it's exact thickness. The difference is that with thinner concrete the cooling down from the ground under the concrete reduces its temperature more. With thick concrete, the underside of the concrete may be cooler but the surface exposed to the sun remains hotter. Basically the thicker concrete is like having more insulation between the top and bottom sides of the concrete.

We went with very light colored travertine with a tumbled edge and it's cool enough to stand on in mid day heat here in Phx. That's saying something. I have a buddy with brick paver deck and it is like walking on lava in comparison, due to the darker brick color and texture.

We wanted o avoid blinding reflection, but it's a trade off to get a deck you can walk with bare feet and not get burned in my neck of the desert.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.