Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping with best heat absorption tolerance

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping with best heat absorption tolerance

Looking to build our pool and sifting through the many material options. Is there a recommended coping material that works well with salt system that does not absorb a lot of heat?
    We are in Southern California and walking barefoot on super-hot coping is not ideal.

Thanks in advance!

- Ran

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping with best heat absorption tolerance

Concrete. Our concrete deck is noticeably cooler than every rock surface around our pool. We can stand in the concrete deck most of the time when we can't stand on the flagstone, sandstone or retaining wall rocks.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Even with concrete, it depends on its thickness. We have thick concrete coping 3.5" thick and these blocks get very hot. Our troweled concrete that is made to look like flagstone is not hot because it is much thinner, but I don't know it's exact thickness. The difference is that with thinner concrete the cooling down from the ground under the concrete reduces its temperature more. With thick concrete, the underside of the concrete may be cooler but the surface exposed to the sun remains hotter. Basically the thicker concrete is like having more insulation between the top and bottom sides of the concrete.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

We don't have coping. Our decking just overhangs edge of pool. It's travertine and I've never felt anything cooler.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JupPool View Post
    We don't have coping. Our decking just overhangs edge of pool. It's travertine and I've never felt anything cooler.
    Travertine and marble coping are very cool to the feet
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all! This is all great advice

7. Back To Top    #7

My Techo bloc Piedmonte coping seems much cooler than many other surfaces I tested. It will withstand saltwater, our pool is saltwater.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

We went with very light colored travertine with a tumbled edge and it's cool enough to stand on in mid day heat here in Phx. That's saying something. I have a buddy with brick paver deck and it is like walking on lava in comparison, due to the darker brick color and texture.

We wanted o avoid blinding reflection, but it's a trade off to get a deck you can walk with bare feet and not get burned in my neck of the desert.
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.