Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installed new Hayward 1 HP Dual Speed Pump sp2607X102S and it just hums

1. Back To Top    #1

Installed new Hayward 1 HP Dual Speed Pump sp2607X102S and it just hums

First I have an inground 18 x 36 pool. The 1 HP Hayward pump is brand new with a Century 2 speed 1081 pool & Spa Duty motor. After installing, when I hit the switch it just hummed. Checked the impeller which turns freely. Took pump back out to check some things and this is what I found. The motor shaft turns with no power, but seems to freeze when I bumped a little power to it. Any idea what the problem might be?
    Attachment 41793SAM_0122.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installed new Hayward 1 HP Dual Speed Pump sp2607X102S and it just hums

Ok, the wiring looks like it is hooked up properly. If you have a voltage test meter, can you tell me what the voltage is. My first guess is that this motor is a 220 volt and you might have only 110 volts going to it. If you truly do have 220 volts at the motor, then I would check the winding with an ohm meter to see if you have a short to ground, (not likely or it would be tripping the breaker). Then if it has a start capacitor, that might be bad, (won't give it a kick to get started). It could be a bad motor, I have seen quite a few new motors that were bad right out of the box (20+ yrs of industrial maintenance).

Bottom line is if you have 220v getting to the motor, give the shaft a good spin, then apply the power, if it spins up, its probably a bad capacitor, if it locks down its usually bad windings.

Good luck, be really careful, when working with motors and live power!

Tim
    24ft Round AGP, built 5/10/15, 13500gal, 1hp Hayward pump, sand filter, hard piped, Pulsar Pulsatron Auto clorine pump. Intex auto cleaner robot. TF-100 XL with speed stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your answer! The voltage is good (250). The capacitor was good. My husband agreed with you that it must be the windings.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I hope that the wiring method used in the picture was just a test and not the actual connection at the pad
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yes, no conduit going into pump. Should be changed.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com