Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat / Cool Heat Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat / Cool Heat Pump

Anyone in Texas, Florida or any other hot and humid climate using a heat pump to heat and cool their water?
    25K IG gunite pool / PebbleTec plaster / 2HP Hayward 2 speed pump / Hayward 525 SQ/FT SwimClear Cartridge filter / Tiger Shark QC robot / TF-100 test kit / Stenner pump X 2 - Chlorine and Acid

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat / Cool Heat Pump

I am wondering about this too. I was just going to post something about this.
    Looking to build an in-ground pool in Orlando, FL. I will update my signature when we have the pool with information. Thanks for any help you can give me.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in the middle of signing a contract. But I spoke with another Floridian a couple of days ago on here and he said he wished he had. The one I'm looking at is AquaCal Heat Pump/chiller the SQ110R. I think I still want to work it into the budget but I'm trying to find pooler's on this site for their advise.
    Roman Style IG 14X28, Gunite Pool and Screen Cage
    11600 gallons, 3.5 ft - 6.0 ft SWG TF100 Kit:)
    Spa with spill over, tanning ledge, swim bench
    Finish TBD, along with equipment and paver's
    Water trucked in were on well system in Florida:)

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool still has a few more weeks until it's done but we have a Jandy JE3000TR Heat/cool pump. We haven't really found many reviews or expected monthly cost so it was a pretty big gamble. Hopefully it doesn't cost us too much because it would be nice to extend the season and even get less bathwater and more refreshing water in the summer!

Would love to hear anyone around here that has one though.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chris.horney View Post
    it would be nice to extend the season and even get less bathwater and more refreshing water in the summer!
    Exactly!

We don't have a spa just a pool. I want to extend the season a little on both sides and be able to knock 2 - 3 degrees off in the middle of summer. What does your PB say about the Jandy?
    25K IG gunite pool / PebbleTec plaster / 2HP Hayward 2 speed pump / Hayward 525 SQ/FT SwimClear Cartridge filter / Tiger Shark QC robot / TF-100 test kit / Stenner pump X 2 - Chlorine and Acid

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dluzader View Post
    I'm in the middle of signing a contract. But I spoke with another Floridian a couple of days ago on here and he said he wished he had. The one I'm looking at is AquaCal Heat Pump/chiller the SQ110R. I think I still want to work it into the budget but I'm trying to find pooler's on this site for their advise.
    Do you know what they have now in the way of heating (or none) and why they wish they would have gone with a heat pump?
    Looking to build an in-ground pool in Orlando, FL. I will update my signature when we have the pool with information. Thanks for any help you can give me.

7. Back To Top    #7

My PB said we don't need a chiller? But I said I want one. Living in Florida is great but when you take a shower here you just turn on cold water because it's warm. At least in our house because we have a well. So I would like some help or comparison of equipment.

WeatherKing P/B Heat Home Owner AquaCal 120R Heat/Chill
    PureChlor Salt Chlorine Generator PB Home Owner Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 Salt System
    Hayward Max - Flo Medium Head Pump Series PB Home Owner Pentair Oversized Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump VS
    Pentair Clean & Clear RP Cartridge RP Cartridge Filter Home Owner Pentair 150 Clean & Clear RP oversized cartridge filter

Any Suggestions or Help are appreciated because I know there is a big price difference. No signed contract yet.

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

My PB said we don't need a chiller? But I said I want one. Living in Florida is great but when you take a shower here you just turn on cold water because it's warm. At least in our house because we have a well. So I would like some help or comparison of equipment.

WeatherKing P/B Heat Home Owner AquaCal 120R Heat/Chill
    PureChlor Salt Chlorine Generator PB Home Owner Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 Salt System
    Hayward Max - Flo Medium Head Pump Series PB Home Owner Pentair Oversized Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump VS
    Pentair Clean & Clear RP Cartridge RP Cartridge Filter Home Owner Pentair 150 Clean & Clear RP oversized cartridge filter

Any Suggestions or Help are appreciated because I know there is a big price difference. No signed contract yet.
    Gotcha, so they don't have the chiller part. Yes, I didn't know this was an option until now and I do think this is something I want to talk to our PB about. I agree, in Florida the pools get too hot at times.

We are looking at Jandy equipment as that is what our PB uses.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just found this info: poolsupplyworld.com. I just wanted to choose the best equipment up front that I can afford. So I'm comparing and pricing before I sign a contract.

11. Back To Top    #11

I just found this info: poolsupplyworld.com. I just wanted to choose the best equipment up front that I can afford. So I'm comparing and pricing before I sign a contract.
    Thanks. This is helpful. Since all the PBs we talked to one except 1 uses Jandy, we are stuck with Jandy. But this will help us compare products within Jandy like the different SWGs.

12. Back To Top    #12

I called my PB to ask if he had installed a heat/chill heat pump and was surprised to find out that he had not. I guess most in-ground pools have a hot tub and a heat pump is not the best choice in that situation.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by pcool69 View Post
    I called my PB to ask if he had installed a heat/chill heat pump and was surprised to find out that he had not. I guess most in-ground pools have a hot tub and a heat pump is not the best choice in that situation.
    Why is a heat pump not the best? That is what we are thinking about doing for heating our pool/spa. Is it the chill part that makes it not good or heat pump in general?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyB View Post
    Why is a heat pump not the best? That is what we are thinking about doing for heating our pool/spa. Is it the chill part that makes it not good or heat pump in general?
    Generally speaking, heat pumps typically take longer to heat up a spa than, say, a natural gas heater. They also have efficiencies that depend on the relative humidity of the air used by the heat pump condenser. That being said, if your electric utility rates are cheap or you can not get gas in your location, then the only choice is a heat pump. In my home/pool, we had natural gas already and it is way cheaper to heat the water using gas than it is using electric power.

One other thing to remember about heating a pool in the marginal months - you really need to do it with a pool cover on like a solar bubble cover. When heating up the water you want to retain as much heat as possible and so evaporation heat loss is your biggest driver. So in those cooler months, you'll have to cover the pool surface, run the heater and only uncover the pool when you want to swim.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

15. Back To Top    #15

The reason I'm interested in a Heat/Cool Pump is because I live in Florida. I don't want the pool to feel like a bath. The chiller will get it to desired Temperature. Yes I know I'm spoiled. But if I'm going to build it than I'm weighing all the option's. Some Texan's are installing it to. It's just a choice for you to make This site is very good in helping to make your decision's of wish list or not.

16. Back To Top    #16

Sounds like in Texas it may not work as well as it will here in Florida. We have higher humidity in Florida and I don't think our nights get as cold in the winter. We do not have a lot of natural gas neighborhoods in central Florida, so that also may be the reason people go more with heat pumps here. I would have to do a propane tank and not even sure I have the room to bury one in my yard.

17. Back To Top    #17

You will be fine using the chiller in Florida or Texas. If you have a specific question on the chiller function, feel free to ask.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

18. Back To Top    #18

Poolsean

We signed with our builder. The Heat/chill pump he has on the contract. Is the RHEEM heater/chiller model D6350 TIEHC. I know he installs a lot of heater's that are Rheem. But I could not find any information on this model. Do you know any thing about it or know someone who purchased one?