new pump leaking issues

Nov 11, 2013
Pocasset, Oklahoma
Hello all- I am having some issues with our pumping system and hoping to get some help. Our pool was built and finished around March 2014. The pump installed was the 1.5hp Whisperflo. We had several leaks through out the year and half with that pump, all coming from the bottom of the pump. Each time repaired we were told it was the impeller seal. The pump and equipment is slightly higher in elevation that the pool itself, so it always took 30 seconds or so to start pumping since the basket would empty when it shut off. After the 4th time repaired, I got with the builder and he replaced the entire pump at his expense. The new pump was installed last month. Just within the past 2 weeks the new pump has started leaking as well. From the bottom just like the old one. Now it will not prime or pump without me bleeding air off the filter and it running for quite some time. The new pump is just like the old one so I am unsure if its a bad batch of pumps? I don't think I am doing anything out of the ordinary. Is there any chance that the grass clippings that end up in the pool and through the system to the filter are causing a seal to go bad? Typically when I mow the pump is running and clippings get into the pool but I usually scoop the majority of the grass out by hand in the skimmer baskets. Do any of you guys have any thoughts or ideas on this as to why I keep getting these leaks and failing equipment? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!

A few grass clipping shouldn't be a big factor in the performance or longevity of your pump. In-fact, being so new, that pump should be strong and leak-free. I'm curious though ... the pump is slightly higher than the pool, so you say the water drains out of the suction side when turned-off correct? Did your builder install check-valve just before your pump basket? I have one that you can see in my pool pics (in my signature). You'll see the check-valve just above the ground before the pump basket. Basically, whenever power goes off and pump suction stops, the flap closes prohibiting water from going backwards, thereby retaining prime better. That might be something to ask your installer. Still don't understand why the new pumps would begin to leak unless they ran a substantial amount of time dry without water flow.

Thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated. No, I do not have a check valve where you outlined in your pictures (awesome pool by the way), that may be something I need to install for sure. The only check valve on the pressure side just after the heater and before the chlorinator. It would make sense to install on there too. I am at a loss on the new pump leaking, it was brand new out of the box barely a month ago.

I have a check valve just above and on the pressure side of my pump. It's between the pump and the filter. It serves to prevent backwash from the filter going back into the pool when the pump,is shut down, as well as preventing the loss of prime. But if a pump is losing prime, the air has to be getting in somewhere. All your suction inlets are below water in your pool, so where is the air coming from. The short answer is there must be a leak somewhere. It could be on either side of the pump, as well as the pump itself. Could be the filter or any connection between there ant the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.