Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 18 x 44 Freeform Fiberglass...any owners out there?

1. Back To Top    #1

18 x 44 Freeform Fiberglass...any owners out there?

My wife and I are looking to get a fiberglass pool installed and we really like the 18x44 shape currently being made by Tallman Pools in Georgia and Lifetime Fiberglass in New Jersey:

Rio Grande - 8' Depth - Fiberglass Pools and Spas

I went and saw one in person, and it LOOKED smaller than I was expecting for 18x44 dimensions. I realize it is supposedly 18x44 to the very outer edges of the coping, and I realize the "freeform" nature will take away some square footage.

What I was really hoping was to find a few current owners of this shape to comment on how the pool shape really works out in real life.

Does it play well? Are the benches functional? How many people fit? Etc.

I REALLY like the 6' deep option Lifetime offers as it seems like it would make the pool MUCH more useful.

Any advice from actual owners (or those who have personally swam in these models) would be VERY appreciated!

ac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 18 x 44 Freeform Fiberglass...any owners out there?

We have the Tahiti model from Tallman and we love it! 14 by 33 I think is the size. It has two benches that are very functional and the kids love the support ledge towards the bottom of the walls. We've had around 15 people in it at once without any issues.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hops View Post
    We have the Tahiti model from Tallman and we love it! 14 by 33 I think is the size. It has two benches that are very functional and the kids love the support ledge towards the bottom of the walls. We've had around 15 people in it at once without any issues.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    uploadfromtaptalk1439843979094.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

Just thought I'd throw my .02 in...how you plan to use the pool is the ultimate decision maker. Ours is only 5'6" deep as we use our more for a "cocktail pool". If you have kids etc. that may make your decision different. We can do laps in ours, but it is a lot of turns to truly do them. Be more Italian than German in your decision making...form should follow function!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hops View Post

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    That's great to know. I see great value in that "safety ledge". I also really like the benches as I see them as great places for adults to relax with beers/cocktails and for kids to use as "bases" for playing games and taking a break from swimming when they can't touch the bottom. My hope is with 4 benches we MIGHT stand a chance of having clear steps. I've noticed in my friends pools that everyone winds up sitting all over the steps and getting in/out is either a jump over the side or an act of saying "excuse me" way too often.

ac

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    Just thought I'd throw my .02 in...how you plan to use the pool is the ultimate decision maker. Ours is only 5'6" deep as we use our more for a "cocktail pool". If you have kids etc. that may make your decision different. We can do laps in ours, but it is a lot of turns to truly do them. Be more Italian than German in your decision making...form should follow function!
    There is no bigger kid in a pool than me! I'm the one splashing, jumping, playing with pool toys, throwing kids, chicken fighting, whatever. At 35 with 2 kids <2 my pool will have to adapt as best as possible as they grow.

This should be interesting. I'm Italian and my wife is German...

ac

6. Back To Top    #6

Bueller? With how many manufacturers offer this shape, there has to be SOMEONE out there with it!

ac

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm impressed with the 8 foot deep end! I wish mine were more than 6 foot.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I'm impressed with the 8 foot deep end! I wish mine were more than 6 foot.
    Could you expand on that?

I've looked at 2 8' fiberglass pools in person. The Lifetime Fiberglass 18x44x8 and the Viking Gulf Coast/Blue Hawaiian Arcadia.

The shallow ends were TINY. It looked like less than 1/3 of the pool would be useful for just hanging out.

The Lifetime sloped HARD on the sides so the actual depth at 8' was only ~10' wide. The Viking/BH didn't slope nearly as much.

Those pools seemed like they had 1 purpose in mind: diving off a diving boar. We won't be having a diving board...

ac

9. Back To Top    #9

Economics Teacher: Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Sorry- couldn't resist. Please resume your previous discussion.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Economics Teacher: Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Sorry- couldn't resist. Please resume your previous discussion.
    Someone got my reference!

ac

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    Could you expand on that?

I've looked at 2 8' fiberglass pools in person. The Lifetime Fiberglass 18x44x8 and the Viking Gulf Coast/Blue Hawaiian Arcadia.

The shallow ends were TINY. It looked like less than 1/3 of the pool would be useful for just hanging out.

The Lifetime sloped HARD on the sides so the actual depth at 8' was only ~10' wide. The Viking/BH didn't slope nearly as much.

Those pools seemed like they had 1 purpose in mind: diving off a diving boar. We won't be having a diving board...

ac
    People hang out in my entire pool... floating on a pool noodle with your legs hanging into the deep end is a lot nicer than just standing in hip high water in the shallow end.

An 8 foot deep pool allows for diving in from the side, lots of diving games and is a tad safer for the horseplay like cannonballs kids get into. IMO of course
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

People hang out in my entire pool... floating on a pool noodle with your legs hanging into the deep end is a lot nicer than just standing in hip high water in the shallow end.

An 8 foot deep pool allows for diving in from the side, lots of diving games and is a tad safer for the horseplay like cannonballs kids get into. IMO of course
    I couldn't find it in your sig or your thread...what pool do you have?

ac

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a 14x32 foot fiberglass that only goes 6 feet deep.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have a 14x32 foot fiberglass that only goes 6 feet deep.
    You can't float dangly feet in 6'?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    You can't float dangly feet in 6'?
    Oh yeah.... I can do that....but what I miss doing is *diving*.... I used to *loveeee* to dive-->swim across the pool-->jump out and repeat

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh yeah.... I can do that....but what I miss doing is *diving*.... I used to *loveeee* to dive-->swim across the pool-->jump out and repeat
    Oh, you mean like real "DIVING" with a springy board and everything. Yeah, that isn't in our plan at all.

ac