Preferred Winter Covers

Jul 3, 2015
Madison, WI
Sad to say, but I'm thinking about winter already. Mice got into our previous cover, so I'm in the market for a new one. I've got a 24' round pool.

Are there any features, materials, etc. that I should be looking for in a pool cover? I'm seeing options all the way from "economy" to "Pro-Strength Super Polar Plus"

Our prior liner was made of a tarp like material that crinkled as it moved. So we listened to it blow in the wind all winter. Speaking of wind, it took the cover off the pool one day. It was tied down with the cable and clips. I added more clips and it seemed to help. So, I think I should keep wind resistance in the mix as a factor as well.

I would prefer a mesh type cover for any pool over the winter. They form a nearly level flat surface over the pool area so that leaves blow right off and you don't get too much snow accumulation on them. They allow rain and melting snow to pass through. They are more expensive but are more secure and definitely won't be flapping in the breeze.

I drain my pool 6 inches below the return. The first two winters I used a solid cover with a pillow in the middle. Next two winters I used the solid cover and no pillow. Each year we had to use a hose to siphon the water off as snow melted. Last year I bought the ultimate winter cover with the mesh strip down the middle. We have a 4ft wide walk around deck, so we drilled holes in the ends of the deck boards and hooked the straps that way. It worked very well. We did not have to worry about water on the cover. A bonus was that by spring, the water level was up to the bottom of the skimmer and we didn't need to add much water to get the pump going in the spring.
medium.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.