closing my fiberglass pool question

May 11, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
this will be the second time I ever close a pool, it was installed last year and last year I installed a gizmo in the skimmer and the pool installer watched me close it to be sure everything was done correctly, which it was. no issues this spring when opening it.

Thinking about doing it a little different this year.
Last year we did not lower the water level at all, it was half way up the skimmer and we kept it that way.

any harm in doing the following?
I am thinking of lowering the water level to just below the skimmer, any harm in doing this? I know fiberglass pools need to always have water in them, but will lowering it 12" do any harm? This will make it easier to evacuate all of the water out of the skimmer and pipe going to the pump. I can blow it out completely, I also use a plug/plate to seal the face of the skimmer. it worked great last year so plan on using it again. Rather than using a gizmo, since I can completely blow out the skimmer and line would I be better off once line is blown to pour a gallon of antifreeze in the line and then plug it with a return cap with o-ring seal? or am I better off using the gizmo? Once capped I would pour another gallon into the skimmer tub and also place a plastic soda bottle half filled with sand to absorb any freezing if there was any. all 4 returns will still be below the water line so I will blow those out and cap as normal then pour a gallon of antifreeze in each line for added peace of mind.

Thoughts on lowering level below skimmer and using plug instead of gizmo?

In my area, I've never had to actually "close" my pool, but many of the items you are suggesting make sense and seem to appear on the TFP Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool page. If you haven't seen this page already, it may help validate some of your thoughts. Best of luck!

WHY do you want to lower the water below the skimmer?

I'm just curious, I don't own my fiberglass pool yet, but I've read many places it simply isn't necessary and coming up with the replacement water in spring would be tough for me on a well.

ac

I'm in Cleveland and we get a lot of snow. I have a mesh cover so the many feet of snow we get each winter melt and go through the cover. When I pulled the cover off last year the water level was even with the deck, above the pool and even with the cantilever. I had to pump water out and I know all that water is not good above the pool normal water level. Other reason is I have bubblers and they are about 6" below, if I lower the water line I can get the bubblers out of the water and simply blow them out and cap. Also will be easier to winterize the skimmer if the water is below the intake. I'd like to lower the water level by 8" to 10". Which is enough to get me below the bubbler deck and below the skimmer, but I don't think is low enough to worry about the sides of the pool collapsing. correct?

I'm in Cleveland and we get a lot of snow. I have a mesh cover so the many feet of snow we get each winter melt and go through the cover. When I pulled the cover off last year the water level was even with the deck, above the pool and even with the cantilever. I had to pump water out and I know all that water is not good above the pool normal water level. Other reason is I have bubblers and they are about 6" below, if I lower the water line I can get the bubblers out of the water and simply blow them out and cap. Also will be easier to winterize the skimmer if the water is below the intake. I'd like to lower the water level by 8" to 10". Which is enough to get me below the bubbler deck and below the skimmer, but I don't think is low enough to worry about the sides of the pool collapsing. correct?

Ah, I guess that makes sense. So you need to shoot to be low enough that the water always remains below the skimmer opening.

Do you have pics of your pool? It sounds quite nice.

ac

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.