Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: All sorts of problems

1. Back To Top    #1

New City NY

All sorts of problems

I am trying to help out a friend with his pool. He has had the pool for 10 years and it has been a mess from the day one. The installer put a filter in that was too small so the filter ran 24/7 and you could never see the bottom of the pool. We replaced the filter with a DE and that problem was solved. Now the biggest issue is yellow/brown staining. I have tested the water myself and had it tested for metal and the results are always negative. Meanwhile i can't keep the pool from staining. Ascorbic acid always removes the staining but it always returns. I have used HTH metal control and if i put 4 qts in the pool, the staining goes away and remains gone for about a week but eventually returns.

I test the water twice a week. It seems that when the Ph falls down to 7.3 or below the staining starts. The pool has a heater with a metal heat exchanger but i put a bypass on it so that can't be a source. The only other things i can think of is the pool ladder or possibly a section of piping that was done with metal that is underground ( i wouldn't put anything past the installer of this pool ). Im wondering if there is another metal that can be in the water besides the iron or copper i am testing for.

Additionally keeping th Ph and Chlorine levels up in this pool is nearly impossible. CYA levels are good but the pool has a chlorinator with 15 tablets and is set on the highest setting. Meanwhile I can't maintain any measurable chlorine level. I have even placed tabs in the skimmer. The chlorine is dissolving but I still always need to add a powdered chlorine to pull up the chlorine levels.

Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: All sorts of problems

Welcome to TFP!

I can't comment on the metal/staining. But, the likely reason for not being able to maintain chlorine is due to high CYA levels and algae growing in the pool. Which could also be the stain.

What test kit are you using?
    What is the CYA level?
    What is the chlorine level? Chlorine CYA Chart

What are the last couple of test results? As shown here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Have a look at this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: All sorts of problems

I'll address the FC/Cya levels first. What is the Cya, and what are you testing all the levels with?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr