Home warranty that includes pool coverage - has anyone used this?

Aug 3, 2015
San Antonio
I recently bought a house with an existing pool. Part of the deal was for them to pay for the first year warranty.

There was one company that had pool coverage (at least here in Texas) so I went with them.

It covers equipment and electrical, not plaster and pipes. I really haven't checked into replacement cost of my variable speed pump and booster pump so I will check into whether I will be continuing the pool coverage at a later time.

I have already used the service on the A/C and have used warranties in the past on other homes purchased in water heaters,ac, and electrical. It's basically an insurance policy. My equipment is older.

Has anyone used this in the past and is it worth the extra $200 annual? If I had a heater it would also be covered but I don't yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a home warranty that "included" a pool, but when I read the fine print there was a lot of stuff excluded. my salt cell was out, my filter, etc. basically it was just the pump. most insurances are not worth the cost, that's why they are making money on them. how much is your deductible? you would have to pay that on top of the $200 up front costs.

$50 deductible

so if your pump goes bad, you are going to have to pay $250. doesn't seem worth it to me, being that you can buy a brand new 2-speed 1hp pump for around $300-$350. would be better to just save the $250 for a new pump eventually. $200 is big gamble to pay for a year. if you did two years worth of that warranty, you could have just replaced the pump already.

LOL, that reminds me :)

We had a seller paid 1 year warranty when we bought as well and it covered the pool. There were a LOT of exceptions, but it did cover pump, filter, and leaks. Well, we had an ancient Jacuzzi sand filter. Spider gasket and the gasket between valve and filter body were ok, but an o-ring in the middle of the valve itself was shot. All the connections were glued but further on were many unions leaking everywhere and fitting so brittle I was afraid to touch them. Knowing I had a $60 deductible I first called three local pool places for free quotes. All three said the filter was too old, Jacuzzi doesn't even make filters anymore, and I would need a new filter. I also called all over online for that o-ring and all had the spider gasket, and other seal, but not the one I needed but could sell an entire valve. Well, i didn't mind buying a seal if i found one, but with it appearing to be needing an entire valve or filter I called the Warranty company. By then I had decided to get a new filter anyway and build an entirely new pad. For $60 I thought they would have parts issues and have to replace it. Guess what... The place they called was one of the three that told me I'd need a new filter, but when here for the $60 deductible they suddenly found an o-ring from a Hayward chlorinator that happened to be the same size!!!

So, my $60 gamble to get a new filter, or at least a valve failed. I bought a new Hayward online and moved on. Funny how when here to give a quote to a homeowner a new filter was the only option and then fixed with a simple o-ring when on a warranty call.

Add in labor, markup, parts - basically paying a contractor to do it. I know I could change out a pump if time and life allows it, but what would the cost of a contractor be to do the work ?

I already kind of included that. you can get a Pentair two speed pump for about $250 shipped to your house. replacing a pool pump is pretty easy to do, even for a novice. some easy to find pvc fittings and some pvc glue is all you need. electrical is already there, you are just swapping out. I bet a handyman type service would charge you about an hour for labor and $20 in parts. so maybe add another $80-100 to that. but you could do it easy enough.

So $250 self install, $350 to have someone else do it for you

LOL, that reminds me :)

We had a seller paid 1 year warranty when we bought as well and it covered the pool. There were a LOT of exceptions, but it did cover pump, filter, and leaks. Well, we had an ancient Jacuzzi sand filter. Spider gasket and the gasket between valve and filter body were ok, but an o-ring in the middle of the valve itself was shot. All the connections were glued but further on were many unions leaking everywhere and fitting so brittle I was afraid to touch them. Knowing I had a $60 deductible I first called three local pool places for free quotes. All three said the filter was too old, Jacuzzi doesn't even make filters anymore, and I would need a new filter. I also called all over online for that o-ring and all had the spider gasket, and other seal, but not the one I needed but could sell an entire valve. Well, i didn't mind buying a seal if i found one, but with it appearing to be needing an entire valve or filter I called the Warranty company. By then I had decided to get a new filter anyway and build an entirely new pad. For $60 I thought they would have parts issues and have to replace it. Guess what... The place they called was one of the three that told me I'd need a new filter, but when here for the $60 deductible they suddenly found an o-ring from a Hayward chlorinator that happened to be the same size!!!

So, my $60 gamble to get a new filter, or at least a valve failed. I bought a new Hayward online and moved on. Funny how when here to give a quote to a homeowner a new filter was the only option and then fixed with a simple o-ring when on a warranty call.

that's because of how the insurance company operates with its vendors. I chatted up the guy that did my A/C repair via the homeowner's warranty process. he basically told me I needed a new compressor but that there was no way they could recommend that. he would have to keep patching together whatever he could to keep it alive. he said that if he recommended a new unit to the insurance that the company would reject it, stop doing business with them, and send out another company to take a look. they are not in the game of replacing equipment, and that if there was any possible way to fix it long enough to keep it running that is what they have to do.

Just went through a similar situation last Friday with a home warranty on my pump that is complaining about the AZ heat. It's still working, but we can't run it certain times of the day and it will even quit if the filters get a little dirty. My concern is, we're going out of town tomorrow for almost two weeks and I really didn't want to saddle the house/cat sitter with a potential major problem. We paid the service fee for a guy to come out and look and he basically told us that if it is still working, he cannot replace it. So we're stuck with band-aiding and babying the thing til we get back and hoping for the best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.