Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More Trouble with Metal Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

More Trouble with Metal Stains

Guys, I've been through 3 Ascorbic Acid Treatments with my pool and am still seeing stains come back. I have a vinyl liner pool that holds about 13,000 gallons. I've tried water replacement and a CuLator filter in the skimmer. I've also cleaned off my cartridges in my filter to remove some of the metals. Each time it comes back seemingly identical to the way it was before. There are even spots on my liner that get darker stains than others, and those spots come back looking the same each time. Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what else to do at this point. Could it be some of the metal fittings in my system are the source of the metals? I'm using municipal water and the problem appears to be iron.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More Trouble with Metal Stains

I am not a metals expert but isn't culater for copper? People use polyfil to filter iron out of the water and there are different products for iron vs copper.

More on metals here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Bump for response. Any help would be appreciated.

4. Back To Top    #4

It might help us diagnose better if you could add all old your pool info. Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Also, can you post a full set of test results with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006? That should help rule-out some issues as well.
    FC
    CC
    CYA
    TA
    pH
    CH

- - - Updated - - -

In your signature, make sure to add any specific equipment you may have (i.e. heater, SWG, etc)
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

In addition to the test results Texas Splash is asking for, you need to test for iron. You have done aa three times so it apparently works but the metal comes back. How much metal is in the water is important to know. If it's a little bit, it can be controlled with pool water management. If it's a humongous amount, you might be able to control it with a water softener. Let us know your results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School