How do people go years with no problems using pucks?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
Often I see people come on here for the first time, saying they've used pucks for years with no problems, then they started having problems. Why don't they have problems in the first year or two? I used some pucks recently to bring up my CYA. It raised by 20ppm in a about a week using them in an auto chlorinator. If I used them full time, I think I'd be well over 100 by mid summer, which would be inviting all sorts of problems.

Each case is different, but there are some common reasons. Low nutrient levels surely help in many pools. If someone shocks weekly then it might bring them high enough to keep any problems at bay. And certainly in a clear pool a maintenance dose of algaecide can help prevent problems. If the traditional way didn't keep pools "mostly clear most of the time" then the industry wouldn't be able to keep doing things the same way. A dull pool is still a clear pool if you don't know any better. Keep in mind too you are maintaining a proper FC for your CYA level, most people only use enough trichlor to keep their FC around 1-3, so they are adding less CYA than you did.

So I personally call it luck, and we have seen enough proof that often times that luck runs out. If you look at the number of people on the site every day (not just members but also guests) you will see there are thousands of people every summer day searching for help with their pools. That is not because the traditional system works so well ;)

It depends on the individual pool, location, weather patterns, etc. If someone lives in a location with a short swim season and they drain a considerable amount of water from their pool for winterization then they may get away with a good bit of trichlor use. Or perhaps they have a longer swim season, but get a lot of rainfall that dilutes the CYA thanks to overflow. Alternatively there are also those that will think all the high CYA side effects are normal, they start off the season with manageable CYA thanks to winter rain fall, winterization draining, etc. by mid July they start having algae issues, so they add some more of their weekly shock (which we can hope is Cal-Hypo powder), they continue fighting such things blaming it on the weather, the way pools are, etc. until the end of the swim season, often nuking the pool with what we would see as insanely high FC levels to combat the ever rising CYA, and if they get lucky they make it through until winter, and the cycle repeats until something happens and it all comes crashing down.

Some pools in the NorthEast can get away with it. Low Temps and PLENTY of rainfall. If you get 45 inches of rain each year, you essentially replace your entire pool.

People in the South use more pucks because of the heat but the rainfall helps somewhat.

People in the desert SouthWest are the unluckiest. No rainfall and high temps means lots of pucks and the CYA goes nowhere.

The overriding factor in my opinion is the zealous overuse of pucks. Not understanding the harm, some folks just load up their pools over and over and no amount of rainfall can help them......but TFP can :D

I am currently attempting to train one of those "lucky" ones that has had very few problems with his pool until last year.

He usually drained his pool part way for the winter, then completed the drain in the spring doing an almost thorough cleaning before refilling.

I've tried many times to get him to read in Pool School, but his excuse for not following up is that "it's too confusing". My best guess is that the methods taught here are so foreign to what his pool store sells him along with their bad advice is difficult for him to comprehend that it could actually be that easy.

I started having serious trouble fom the pucks last year. Did not get educated about them until this year. I replaced my liner, and therefore the water, 6 years ago, so got a reboot at that time. I just read the puck bucket instructions and the cheapo test kit instructions and had no idea why a 2.0 chlorine level was not effective any more. So, I guess I had too high CYA level in 4 years (max, maybe sooner).

-R

After opening the pool from a 8 year closure, pumping $'s on landscaping etc. i decided i wanted an easy clear pool without depending on others. I was lucky I found TFP as quickly as I did.

I remember in past years spending ridiculous money keeping the pool up! Used only Puck's with the rest of the Voodoo Cr@p the pool stores sell. always chasing my tail to get the pool OK, but never as clear as via TFP.

As Donaldson said "A dull pool is still a clear pool if you don't know any better'

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had an AGP for 3 years before building this pool. I used pucks. I'm sure I over-used them & I went to Leslie's religiously. Now - I don't really know why or how I kept it clean and clear. The only time I had problems was when my pump died. I wish I would have tested myself on the old pool to see what the levels were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the posts in this thread point out that there is quite a bit of forgiveness in what we teach. Our suggested methods are not black and white and you have wider latitudes with chemistry than we publish on the forum.

That's a big reason why those of us that have been here a while are in mild disbelief when someone cannot get their pool clear for months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.