How do people go years with no problems using pucks?

Huh ? How does that work ?

While visiting my sister in FL, she and I were draining anywhere from 1" to 2" per week out of her pool from the rain. I was so crazy jealous because I figured she could dump whatever she wanted in her pool and eventually it was going to come out. I didn't bother to steer her towards bleach because then she'd probably have to buy stabilizer and I think that stuff's a total waste of money.

I do understand that it is possible to replace most of the water in a pool, even by rain. I just don't get where the 45 inches to essentially replace all the water came from.

For instance, if you have a flat-bottom pool with a height of 45 inches, you would replace less than two thirds of the water if you drained and refilled one inch at a time. Increase the height of the pool and you replace even less.

The average pool depth is around 4.5' if one goes from a 3' shallow end to a 6' deep end. 4.5' is 54". However, even if one received 54" of rain it does not drain and refill but rather mixes continuously and has mostly continuous overflow or small drains. In that situation having an amount of rain that equals the pool water volume would only be a dilution of 100%*(1-e-1) = 63.2%, not 100%. If one had enough rain for two water volumes, so 108", then that would be 86.5% water replacement.

South Florida has an annual precipitation of 62" and has fairly humid weather, but surprisingly still has 60" of evaporation over the year. However, the rain is thunderstorms from the end of April until mid-October (see this link) and has high daytime 90% humidity so little evaporation at least during the day though monthly pan evaporation rates are around 7" per month during summer.

Some of the posts in this thread point out that there is quite a bit of forgiveness in what we teach. Our suggested methods are not black and white and you have wider latitudes with chemistry than we publish on the forum.

That's a big reason why those of us that have been here a while are in mild disbelief when someone cannot get their pool clear for months.

Seriously. My pool was horrible and green, the top was starting to get some sludge on it if I left the filter off for a while.

2 weeks later I can see my drain and it's getting clearer....not done quite yet, and I was getting frustrated at how long it was taking, but I can't imagine why it'd take months to get a pool clear if you're looking at your numbers. I happened to add some DE to my sand filter and overnight that sped my filtering....

They likely also used algaecides and phosphate removers along with some dilution from backwashing or overlflow from rain, or draining water for winterizing. Or maybe their environment was just poor in algae nutrients. Eventually though, it always catches up with them.

Often I see people come on here for the first time, saying they've used pucks for years with no problems, then they started having problems. Why don't they have problems in the first year or two? I used some pucks recently to bring up my CYA. It raised by 20ppm in a about a week using them in an auto chlorinator. If I used them full time, I think I'd be well over 100 by mid summer, which would be inviting all sorts of problems.

A dull pool is still a clear pool if you don't know any better.

The difference is huge...

A pic, posted by my friend that stated:

Summer couldn't get any better!

Well, yes... It can!

People in the desert SouthWest are the unluckiest. No rainfall and high temps means lots of pucks and the CYA goes nowhere.

The overriding factor in my opinion is the zealous overuse of pucks. Not understanding the harm, some folks just load up their pools over and over and no amount of rainfall can help them......but TFP can :D

I am a testament to this. I went a little crazy a couple of years ago with some new floaters (Actually they sink and then rise once the pucks have mostly dissolved) That is how I ended up here.

It was a hard lesson to learn, but I look back on all of the $$$ spent at Leslie's, and other places on pucks and algaecide and PhosLow, I am glad that I screwed my water chemistry up beyond repair without a drain.
That is when I learned the damage that over pucking can do, and that is when I found TFP!!

I figured there had to be a better way. This is my first full summer. By the time July rolled around I knew what my pool needed day to day. I estimated that I would need 12 jugs of bleach for the month.
I nailed it! I poured the last bit in on the 31st!

Thanks guys, Thanks for helping me break up with the Fool Stores and take back my pool!!

The new house I bought about 9 months ago has a pool and I've never owned a pool. I found this site by luck and my pool has been issue free and crystal clear, so for that I thank you.

My mother in law has had a pool for 20+ yrs and uses pucks. She hasn't had major issues but she does say she's experienced various bouts with Algae. She tried to get me to use pucks and even bought me a floater but luckily I had found this site before then!

I doubt I'll ever convert her but I have converted a few of my coworkers. Thanks again for this great resource!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The new house I bought about 9 months ago has a pool and I've never owned a pool. I found this site by luck and my pool has been issue free and crystal clear, so for that I thank you.

My mother in law has had a pool for 20+ yrs and uses pucks. She hasn't had major issues but she does say she's experienced various bouts with Algae. She tried to get me to use pucks and even bought me a floater but luckily I had found this site before then!

I doubt I'll ever convert her but I have converted a few of my coworkers. Thanks again for this great resource!

To me, bouts with Algae is a major issue. Unacceptable, but I am very, very picky and its a shame that people are just Ok with it. As if it's just part of having a pool. Not here it isn't, but hey, just like you, it's great getting one person convinced at a time. Even though doubtful, she may come around if she can be convinced you don't get Algae blooms every season.

Welcome to the forum, great to have you with us!!

I dont mean to be call any of the previous answers wrong, but a big part of the answer is how people define the expression "not had any problems". To most of the people here, the expression means pour maybe a gallon and a half of bleach in the pool each week. Anything else is abnormal. However, to those who have not yet learned this pool care method, not any problems includes regular use of phosfree, clarifier, floc, weekly cal hypo, etc. in addition to pucks. For us, we spend maybe $100-$200 per year. For them, many more times than that. For us, it can you see heads or tails on a quarter in 4 feet of water. For them, its the water is not green. Their "not had any problems" would be a disaster in our worlds.

Most of the time, it is by pure luck and a short swim season. A friend of mine says that she has not had problems in 8 years. Now, even though she ordered a test kit (TF-100) and not using it (hired a pool company), 8 days later, pool still has junk all over the bottom. Does not want to learn how to take care of a pool.

BTW, her liner is in bad shape. She has metals in her pool. The pool store allowed her PH to drop to under 4.5 and the story continues.

Out of all the pools I have visited (5 years) +, not one liner is in good shape. A roller coaster ride of shocking the pool weekly, spots of algae, bad advice from pool stores and probably an expensive season. On the East Coast, most people who have regular covers have holes in them and they pump a lot of water out, starting all over with the CYA escalator. Usually the problems all start around this time as the CYA level is so high, in August.

I refuse to swim in other people's pools (bottom line). A lot of people who own pools "mask" algae and other CC with all the "bad stuff" that pool companies sell them. Phos-Free, Clarifiers, Algaecides that are copper based, etc. Latest around here is the "Frog System", that have your levels between .5 and 1 (No Thank you.)

So this begs the question: When you get invited to one of these pools for a pool party do you bring your test kit with you? And what if you do a FAS/DPD test and then you get to the CC part of the test after adding the 5x R-0003 drops, you keep having to add R-0871 drops and you're not seeing it go clear again... drop swirl, drop swirl, drop swirl, drop swirl, drop swirl.... I can't get it clear again??? Ummm... KIDS! HURRY GET OUT OF THE WATER!!!!!
:shark:

So this begs the question: When you get invited to one of these pools for a pool party do you bring your test kit with you? And what if you do a FAS/DPD test and then you get to the CC part of the test after adding the 5x R-0003 drops, you keep having to add R-0871 drops and you're not seeing it go clear again... drop swirl, drop swirl, drop swirl, drop swirl, drop swirl.... I can't get it clear again??? Ummm... KIDS! HURRY GET OUT OF THE WATER!!!!!
:shark:

Unfortunately, I do not bring my test kit as it should not be left in the sun and heat all day. I just do not go in and no one really asks any questions. People are funny and you can not tell them that their pool is a "bath full of germs". It is when everybody gets out of the pool that the "CC" smell is apparent. Most people believe it is just chlorine.

My kids on the other hand is a different story. They went to a party and unfortunately went in. Hopefully the dance studio will not have another party like this. We really do not attend many pool parties, and I will not go in unless the water looks like mine. You can just tell.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

When the filter shut off yesterday and the water was calm, I just had to take a picture. Sun was going down and you can still see the clarity of the water. I use filter socks (more work) to trap everything before it gets to the filter. Swap them out weekly, or as needed. Pictures taken at same time. Maybe the tree behind me shaded the surroundings.

I started out using bleach and my pool was perfect. But, I have a leak that they cannot find/fix. It was a battle keeping up with everything. I loose so much water that this year I went with pucks. Clear water. Can see the screw heads on the drain covers. Not quite as sparkly as before. But, I don't have to think about it. If and when they ever fix my leak, I will switch back to bleach.

I started out using bleach and my pool was perfect. But, I have a leak that they cannot find/fix. It was a battle keeping up with everything. I loose so much water that this year I went with pucks. Clear water. Can see the screw heads on the drain covers. Not quite as sparkly as before. But, I don't have to think about it. If and when they ever fix my leak, I will switch back to bleach.

Sorry to hear about your leak? Have you tried someone else. There must be someone that can accomplish this task. Most problems in life are solved by "process of elimination". You just have to find the right "pool professional". I have an electrician coming out as my screws were acquiring rust. It is either "electrolysis" or "galvanic corrosion". I would definitely call and ask around. Lower water below skimmers (first test). Maybe close out certain returns, etc. Someone must be able to find the source, unless underground and something or a root moved something, soil shifting, etc. I specifically removed larger trees near the pool because of the root system. Good luck.

1) Water must be drained after a good rain.
2) Part of the winterization process for the Northeast and Upper Midwest require draining the pool to certain level at the end of the season
3) water must be drained from under the cover before the first freeze and again in the spring after the ice melts.
4) Pool volume.

My father has used pucks, algaecide, and once a week shock for 28 years. I tested his water earlier this summer and his CYA was about 90, but he will not convert to a TFPer. His water is perfectly clear and he sees no reason to change if his methods aren't failing him...Of course that explains his "Chlorine lock" a few years ago, but I was using Baquacil at the time abd he had 35 years of pool experience, so who was I to say anything...Then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pucks and floats have their place (i.e. vacation or otherwise out of town travel), but if you are home, there is really no reason to not spare 90 seconds to pour a 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine into the deep end.

As an aside, I can't read or write the word "Floater" and not think about the pool scene in Caddyshack. I always giggle a little to myself. Lesson as always? I am a 38 year old juvenile idiot :salut:.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.