Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do people go years with no problems using pucks?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do people go years with no problems using pucks?

Often I see people come on here for the first time, saying they've used pucks for years with no problems, then they started having problems. Why don't they have problems in the first year or two? I used some pucks recently to bring up my CYA. It raised by 20ppm in a about a week using them in an auto chlorinator. If I used them full time, I think I'd be well over 100 by mid summer, which would be inviting all sorts of problems.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How do people go years with no problems using pucks?

Each case is different, but there are some common reasons. Low nutrient levels surely help in many pools. If someone shocks weekly then it might bring them high enough to keep any problems at bay. And certainly in a clear pool a maintenance dose of algaecide can help prevent problems. If the traditional way didn't keep pools "mostly clear most of the time" then the industry wouldn't be able to keep doing things the same way. A dull pool is still a clear pool if you don't know any better. Keep in mind too you are maintaining a proper FC for your CYA level, most people only use enough trichlor to keep their FC around 1-3, so they are adding less CYA than you did.

So I personally call it luck, and we have seen enough proof that often times that luck runs out. If you look at the number of people on the site every day (not just members but also guests) you will see there are thousands of people every summer day searching for help with their pools. That is not because the traditional system works so well
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends on the individual pool, location, weather patterns, etc. If someone lives in a location with a short swim season and they drain a considerable amount of water from their pool for winterization then they may get away with a good bit of trichlor use. Or perhaps they have a longer swim season, but get a lot of rainfall that dilutes the CYA thanks to overflow. Alternatively there are also those that will think all the high CYA side effects are normal, they start off the season with manageable CYA thanks to winter rain fall, winterization draining, etc. by mid July they start having algae issues, so they add some more of their weekly shock (which we can hope is Cal-Hypo powder), they continue fighting such things blaming it on the weather, the way pools are, etc. until the end of the swim season, often nuking the pool with what we would see as insanely high FC levels to combat the ever rising CYA, and if they get lucky they make it through until winter, and the cycle repeats until something happens and it all comes crashing down.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Some pools in the NorthEast can get away with it. Low Temps and PLENTY of rainfall. If you get 45 inches of rain each year, you essentially replace your entire pool.

People in the South use more pucks because of the heat but the rainfall helps somewhat.

People in the desert SouthWest are the unluckiest. No rainfall and high temps means lots of pucks and the CYA goes nowhere.

The overriding factor in my opinion is the zealous overuse of pucks. Not understanding the harm, some folks just load up their pools over and over and no amount of rainfall can help them......but TFP can
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Length of swimming season is a big factor and some people consider constant dumping of water and replenishing just part of pool maintenance.

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess I forgot about all of the algaecides, blue restore, weekly recommended shock, etc that must be added. All I have in my chemical cabinet is a measuring cup and bleach....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

7. Back To Top    #7

There are absolutely legitimate reasons, some as Dave has outlined. Then there are also people who leave things out of the story, or are... shall we say....less than truthful.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

I am currently attempting to train one of those "lucky" ones that has had very few problems with his pool until last year.

He usually drained his pool part way for the winter, then completed the drain in the spring doing an almost thorough cleaning before refilling.

I've tried many times to get him to read in Pool School, but his excuse for not following up is that "it's too confusing". My best guess is that the methods taught here are so foreign to what his pool store sells him along with their bad advice is difficult for him to comprehend that it could actually be that easy.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I started having serious trouble fom the pucks last year. Did not get educated about them until this year. I replaced my liner, and therefore the water, 6 years ago, so got a reboot at that time. I just read the puck bucket instructions and the cheapo test kit instructions and had no idea why a 2.0 chlorine level was not effective any more. So, I guess I had too high CYA level in 4 years (max, maybe sooner).

-R
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

10. Back To Top    #10

After opening the pool from a 8 year closure, pumping $'s on landscaping etc. i decided i wanted an easy clear pool without depending on others. I was lucky I found TFP as quickly as I did.

I remember in past years spending ridiculous money keeping the pool up! Used only Puck's with the rest of the Voodoo Cr@p the pool stores sell. always chasing my tail to get the pool OK, but never as clear as via TFP.

As Donaldson said "A dull pool is still a clear pool if you don't know any better'
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

11. Back To Top    #11

My sister has a 35,000 gallon pool. She uses pucks but she manages to get a leak every year and opens to an empty pool.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

I had an AGP for 3 years before building this pool. I used pucks. I'm sure I over-used them & I went to Leslie's religiously. Now - I don't really know why or how I kept it clean and clear. The only time I had problems was when my pump died. I wish I would have tested myself on the old pool to see what the levels were.

~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Some of the posts in this thread point out that there is quite a bit of forgiveness in what we teach. Our suggested methods are not black and white and you have wider latitudes with chemistry than we publish on the forum.

That's a big reason why those of us that have been here a while are in mild disbelief when someone cannot get their pool clear for months.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissykr View Post
    My sister has a 35,000 gallon pool. She uses pucks but she manages to get a leak every year and opens to an empty pool.
    There are a few cities now close to where I am (Orange County CA) that made that illegal. Unless you signed a contract before the law was enacted - no more filling swimming pools.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
    There are a few cities now close to where I am (Orange County CA) that made that illegal. Unless you signed a contract before the law was enacted - no more filling swimming pools.
    She has a well. Every year she says she is going to replace her liner but never does. Her liner is 15 years old and bleached white.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissykr View Post
    She has a well. Every year she says she is going to replace her liner but never does. Her liner is 15 years old and bleached white.
    I hope that your mentioning the 15 year old bleached white liner hasn't cursed it and *now* she *has* to replace it ! Oooops!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

17. Back To Top    #17

How do some people drive like idiots and never get in an accident?

Sometimes blind luck is the only explanation.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    How do some people drive like idiots and never get in an accident?

Sometimes blind luck is the only explanation.
    That is kind of harsh
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbaby View Post
    That is kind of harsh
    sorry but I'm +100 with with Richard on that one. That's my industry and the things I have to do and design for......
    Most people can't do math to save their soul and think speeding up 20 mph over the speed limit saves them 5 minutes on a 10 minute trip. It's mind boggling how dumb intelligent people can be.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

20. Back To Top    #20

Dumb luck is how people get away with high puck usage. Period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast