Help with extremely high cya

It's most likely not anything growing... but rather a sort of "scum" (for lack of better term) made up of the lotions, potions, sunscreens, hairsprays, etc. used by people who use the pool.

A Mr. Clean Magic eraser will remove it with the least amount of elbow grease, and if you grab a couple of "scum balls" from the pool store or off of amazon... then the build-up won't happen, or at least will be much less. The scum balls look like a squishy, furry ball about the size of a tennis ball. It floats in your skimmer and absorbs the gunk before it gets deposited on the sides.

I've seen it described as kind of soot-like by some people... and others have said it seems like mildew.

Thanks for the responses. I scrubbed it clean with bleach on Thursday and it was beginning to show up again on Saturday. No one has been in the pool in over a week. Could it still be the type of residue you're describing, April's Zoo? I'll pick up a scum ball on my next trip to the store. I'm really happy that no one seems to think it's an algae.

Okay, it's been a bit of an ordeal, but I'm finally through my (liquid chlorine) SLAM. After about 6 or 7 days of the SLAM, my pump motor blew. It took a couple of days to get the motor fixed and I started back into the SLAM. After another 3 days, after a routine backwash, my filter started allowing DE into the pool through the jets. The sleeve had come off the air bleed finger inside the filter. AGAIN! After a couple of days on recirculate, the repair guy was back to fix that and clean the filter. That was four days ago. I've had two consecutive nights with overnight chlorine loss test=0. I'm letting my FC drop to 7. My current numbers are:

FC 14
CC 0
CH 350
TA 80
CYA 60

What are my next steps?

Thanks!

Will do. Once the FC gets to the proper range, should I check it daily and add chlorine every evening, as necessary? What should I expect my daily FC loss to be? Should I be on the lookout for any red flags?

Thanks, again. I love this site. Wish I'd found it years ago. I'm a true convert, no longer an ATM for the pool store!

Everyone's FC can be a little different. You will get a feel for your pool's behavior pretty quickly. I usually checked mine in the summer in the morning, as I was off more often. Now that I am back to work everyday, I check it in the evening. I check FC almost everyday (I sometimes am in a hurry and add a bit of chlorine based on the average, shhh.) I test PH every couple of days, but mine runs low, not high. (Not much aeration, no SWG to push it up.) I don't check my CYA very often, only when I added some earlier in the season, (mine didn't get installed Til July), but it should be checked maybe once a month, or if you notice something is going on. I only checked the CH and TA when I filled, my pool is vinyl, and the reading were within normal range. I haven't added anything that would change it.
There are days I go out and admire my water just for the heck of it, and tell anyone who will listen about the TFP website, lol.

Yep, test and add daily until you get a good feel for how your pool acts, then you can skip a day here and there or a test too. Keep notes for a while. 2-4 ppm is pretty normal. With cooler weather coming up your chlorine demand will drop pretty quickly as the temps drop and the days get shorter. The biggest red flag you will see first is your chlorine being 0 or lower than you expect when you test it. If you are staying open for the winter, I keep my FC around 10-12 and add weekly or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.