here are my numbers, suggestions?

Dec 16, 2012
thought I possibly saw some algae last night so I dumped a jug of clorox in and got FC up to 13.5. Also have ran pump nonstop and cleaned with robot and brushed down sides. Tonight when I looked at pool I see one small line of what may be green algae I guess... Pool looks pretty clear to me. I have a lot of trees around my pool so dirt accumulates in creases of liner pretty nonstop. I put my numbers in pool calculator and it looks like I need to add 30 ounces muriatic acid and 20 ounces of CYA and a little clorox? what should be my CYA goal? Here are my numbers please advise thanks!

FC - 3.5

TC - bright yellow

CC - .5

PH - over 7.8 but not quite 8.2

TA - 140

CYA - 30 maybe slightly below i'm never 100% sure on this test.

Standard CYA range for a non-SWG system is 30-50. You can adjust accordingly. Of course bring your pH down to the mid-7s if possible, and adjust your FC according to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.

Also, if you're not using a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit w/ FAS-DPD FC testing capabilities, it will be tough to manage those levels accurately. I encourage you to check those kits out at TFTestkits.net. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Also keep in mind that if you saw algae previously and didn't follow-through with all the requirements from the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain, the algae may return. You may want to consider performing an OCLT to confirm there is no FC loss to organics.

Given your high TA, I'd target maybe 7.2 or 7.3 on the pH, which will call for a little more acid. Add that.

If you want to add more CYA - which I think is a good idea - do that next. No need to wait. If by chance you still have some trichlor pucks or some dichlor shock laying around from pre-TFP days, you can use that. Just let us know and we can help you figure out how much to add.

When the acid has been in about half an hour, add the bleach. If you're using some other chlorine source, don't add bleach. Let the pump run at least another half an hour. Done.

here are my numbers tonight after adding CYA and muriatic acid last weekend. based on the numbers now any suggestions?

Also my pool pump gauge stopped working 3 weeks ago - shows pressure at 5 when pump on and off it doesn't move....I guess I need to get a pool company to come just to change the gauge? Pressure at the jets feels strong.

thanks guys!!!!!

FC - 6

TC - bright yellow

CC - .5

PH - 7.6

TA - 140

CYA - 50

Overall not bad. If you find your pH trying to climb-up, bring it (and TA) down with more acid. Concentrate on the pH more. The gauge should be an easy swap. Maybe look at the TF-100 test kit web site. I think they have a good one available.

Hey, Matthew.
I'm no super-handyman by any stretch, and I was able to replace my pressure gauge. Believe me, this was E-Z!
Or perhaps there'a a family member or friend nearby that can assist you.
Good luck!
If you've ever removed a bicycle tire and patched it and reassembled everything correctly, you're mechanical enough to change a pressure gauge. It's not much harder than changing a light bulb. It just needs a wrench and some teflon tape on the threads.

Your numbers are acceptable. Go swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.