Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: here are my numbers, suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

here are my numbers, suggestions?

thought I possibly saw some algae last night so I dumped a jug of clorox in and got FC up to 13.5. Also have ran pump nonstop and cleaned with robot and brushed down sides. Tonight when I looked at pool I see one small line of what may be green algae I guess... Pool looks pretty clear to me. I have a lot of trees around my pool so dirt accumulates in creases of liner pretty nonstop. I put my numbers in pool calculator and it looks like I need to add 30 ounces muriatic acid and 20 ounces of CYA and a little clorox? what should be my CYA goal? Here are my numbers please advise thanks!

FC - 3.5

TC - bright yellow

CC - .5

PH - over 7.8 but not quite 8.2

TA - 140

CYA - 30 maybe slightly below i'm never 100% sure on this test.
    Greenville NC
    14,657 gallons IG vinyl pool 14x28
    1HP A.O. Smith Pump Polaris 9550 sport robotic cleaner
    Pentair Tagelus high rate sand filter 04C TA-60/60D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: here are my numbers, suggestions?

Standard CYA range for a non-SWG system is 30-50. You can adjust accordingly. Of course bring your pH down to the mid-7s if possible, and adjust your FC according to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.

Also, if you're not using a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit w/ FAS-DPD FC testing capabilities, it will be tough to manage those levels accurately. I encourage you to check those kits out at TFTestkits.net. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Also keep in mind that if you saw algae previously and didn't follow-through with all the requirements from the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain, the algae may return. You may want to consider performing an OCLT to confirm there is no FC loss to organics.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 on Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is algae or just dust/dirt.

Also, have you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Given your high TA, I'd target maybe 7.2 or 7.3 on the pH, which will call for a little more acid. Add that.

If you want to add more CYA - which I think is a good idea - do that next. No need to wait. If by chance you still have some trichlor pucks or some dichlor shock laying around from pre-TFP days, you can use that. Just let us know and we can help you figure out how much to add.

When the acid has been in about half an hour, add the bleach. If you're using some other chlorine source, don't add bleach. Let the pump run at least another half an hour. Done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

here are my numbers tonight after adding CYA and muriatic acid last weekend. based on the numbers now any suggestions?

Also my pool pump gauge stopped working 3 weeks ago - shows pressure at 5 when pump on and off it doesn't move....I guess I need to get a pool company to come just to change the gauge? Pressure at the jets feels strong.

thanks guys!!!!!

FC - 6

TC - bright yellow

CC - .5

PH - 7.6

TA - 140

CYA - 50
    Greenville NC
    14,657 gallons IG vinyl pool 14x28
    1HP A.O. Smith Pump Polaris 9550 sport robotic cleaner
    Pentair Tagelus high rate sand filter 04C TA-60/60D

6. Back To Top    #6

Overall not bad. If you find your pH trying to climb-up, bring it (and TA) down with more acid. Concentrate on the pH more. The gauge should be an easy swap. Maybe look at the TF-100 test kit web site. I think they have a good one available.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey, Matthew.
    I'm no super-handyman by any stretch, and I was able to replace my pressure gauge. Believe me, this was E-Z!
    Or perhaps there'a a family member or friend nearby that can assist you.
    Good luck!
    /L

7,000 gallon, IG, concrete aggregate pool, Hayward single-speed pump (SP2807X10) w US Motors electric 1 HP / 3450 rpm motor, Hayward Star Clear Plus filter (C751) w cartridge (CX760RE), Taylor K-2006 test kit, SW FL.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Hey, Matthew.
    I'm no super-handyman by any stretch, and I was able to replace my pressure gauge. Believe me, this was E-Z!
    Or perhaps there'a a family member or friend nearby that can assist you.
    Good luck!
    If you've ever removed a bicycle tire and patched it and reassembled everything correctly, you're mechanical enough to change a pressure gauge. It's not much harder than changing a light bulb. It just needs a wrench and some teflon tape on the threads.

Your numbers are acceptable. Go swim.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!