Testing question

Apr 11, 2015
La Vernia, Tx
Our new pool was filled about 32 days ago and my wife has been using a TF-100 kit to test the water each day. We had to use some trichlor tabs to start with d/t PB warranty, but have been supplementing with bleach each day. Our CYA is 30, but we are waiting for the last puck to dissolve before we add any more dry CYA as we don't want to over shoot. Our levels have been great and our water is crystal clear. My wife uses the TC and drop test each day and often morning and evening. She tries to maintain chlorine above the target level since we are in full sun, have kids that swim daily.

Yesterday at about 4pm: FC of 8 and CC of 0.5 (FC usually between 4 and 8. CC never above 0.5 and usually at 0).
Today at 11:45: TC of 5+. Only did TC test as we have not had an overnight loss since we began testing.
Today at 5pm: TC 5. FC of 2.5 and CC of 1.5

Water looks sparkling clear, but I guess we will SLAM.

My questions: Why even do the general TC test if it does not differentiate free chlorine and combined chloramines? Also, how often do people do a drop test for FC and CC? The kit says once per week, but if everything can be good for a month and the TC test shows 5, it could have been several days before I would have known that CCs are high and I needed to SLAM. I'm not knocking the kit or the method, just trying to better understand.

Okay, since I started to type this email, myy wife used our new speed stir for the first time (came in the mail this week) and said it was much easier and felt more immediate and precise. Now, we have ZERO CC's and a FC level of 10 (initially added enough to take us from 2.5 to 6)

So, could using the speed stir really make our testing more efficient, or are we just screwed up? Now I assume we dont SLAM? Sorry for the long winded post. Any advice is much appreciated.

Eric

I don't think you need to SLAM. Could be timing of excess bather load being oxidized. How old are the kids? Anyone young enough to make extra contributions to the pool? Urine would create a spike in CC. Yes, the speed stir can increase accuracy of the tests. Generally if there is a problem with algae or something in the pool consuming chlorine TC will drop day by day. So, a random spike in CC is not necessarily a big problem.

The speedstir makes a huge difference in testing. That said... you might be trying to go too fast and squeezing the bottle which makes the drops fly off sooner and smaller.

The colormatching test is mostly a sanity check. Eventually you'll know your pool so well that you can just give that a glance and know things are normal and add the usual between 2 or 3 times a week FAS-DPD testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.