Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just cleaned the filter....now I have questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

Just cleaned the filter....now I have questions...

Okay...so last night we had a torrential downpour here. 4" in less than 30 minutes. I ran out in the lightening and hooked up the discharge/drain-off hose and started the pump. Unfortunately the pool had overflowed by the time I noticed and the deck had about a half inch of water in certain areas. This morning, I went out to clean the filter since I figured a lot of dirt from the patio washed back into the pool. Here's what I noticed (and associated questions):

1) The pressure gauge for the filter was at 25psi. It had always been 20psi...and you could also count on it like clockwork. If someone would have asked me yesterday, I would have been willing to bet the pressure was 20psi (before the rain). That being said, I was slightly surprised that I saw 25psi. I thought to myself...no problem...this is why you came out to clean it. When I took out the filter, it definitely looked like it needed a good hose down. So I did...and the pleats were back to a white color. After I cleaned it...the pressure still read 25psi. This is the part that surprised me. I've only had the pool eight months and honestly I have never seen a change in the pressure gauge before or after cleaning...I just do it once a month or good measure. So, #1...is it normal to not have the pressure move at all (reduce) after cleaning) and secondly the change from 20 to 25psi anything to worry about or suspect? (the manual says it is rated to 50psi).

2) When I took the filter out I was surprised by the look of the rubber part (the top and bottom of the filter). Before this time it has always been a somewhat bright blue (like the banner on this page). When I took the cap off, it was more of a baby blue...almost like the bleach started discoloring it. Not only that, but there were two areas where it looked like paint flecked off the rubber piece. Is it normal for the rubber part turn colors?

Thanks in advance...being a new pool owner we are learning as we go along and you guys are always extremely helpful.
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just cleaned the filter....now I have questions...

A couple of questions for you.

-When you turn the pump off does the gauge drop to 0?

-If it does then I would take the gauge off and make sure there is not something up inside the gauge. It could be tiny but...

-Filter the same thing happened when I had a cartridge filter-change in color (lighter) and some of the "paint" flaked off as well. It did not stop it from working.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, as soon as I shut off the filter, the pressure drops to zero. I guess I should have mentioned that. When I cleaned it today, the top part by the gauge and the high flow pressure release was dark black (the inside of the filter is a cream color. I did hose out both the gauge and pressure release from the inside. Maybe I'm just being anal....

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

4. Back To Top    #4

At least you are paying attention to what your pool and filter does! LOL

When you say you cleaned the gauge did you even use something to poke inside the gauge? Something like a straight pen or such. (I am not sure how they work so don't know if this is something that can be done so.......) I just want to make sure in case it will help.

It might be time to buy a new cartridge? I liked having two. That way I could pop the clean one in while I worked on the dirty one and set it aside for next time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I just spray inside of it. I did not poke anything around inside of it.

And the filter media/pleats still look new. Would I really need a new one if they look new, the pressure has risen 5psi and the spec is 50psi? I think I'll try the TSP/acid wash before I buy a new one. Just wanted to know if this was normal or if I should suspect something based on my observations.

----

6. Back To Top    #6

It may be this is your new normal for so reason. I am just throwing ideas out there and see what catches. Throw any ideas you do not want away. LOL

Kim

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like something may have gotten either into the gauge or into your pipes somewhere.

Flick your on the gauge...tap it a few times to make sure the needle isn't stuck or something.

Finally, try a new guage...they are relatively cheap. In the meantime, I wouldn't sweat it...5 psi isn't much to worry about.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

the fading on the ends of your filter is normal. Mine did that too. Apparently the dye they use to make the ends with isnt on the high end of the quality scale.

The gauges on filters are about as cheap as you can get. What you experience dont surprise me, but then.....

For 12 dollars, you can get yourself a nice good one at tftest kits and replace the cheap one you have on there now.
    I got one and it give me peace of mind to know that what that gauge says the pressure is... is what it really is.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

New gauge. Check. Looks like a small weekend project is in order.

Good to know the look of the filter is normal.

Thanks all!

----

10. Back To Top    #10

Well i tapped the old gauge and just tapping it made it fluctuate five psi. Sooo...I got the new gauge installed. I feel more comfortable with this little guy:

----

11. Back To Top    #11

Nice gauge!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Yep. Got it off the same website as the tf-100 kit. Not sure who runs that sight but just the fact I don't have to do a ton of research to find what I need is worth the weight in gold!

----