Milky white water from filter return?

CHSRpool

In The Industry
Jul 1, 2015
Fairbanks, AK
I have just got done with replacing sand and a lateral in my pool filter and it seems to be working a lot better. Although frequently after the pump runs for a period of time shuts off then turns itself back on I notice a cloud of milky water coming into the pool from the return line:confused::confused:.. I have never had this happen before, it doesnt last long but it keeps happening. My only thought is that something is going on with the filter pushing out some dirty water when it restarts? But my water seems to be clearing up a lot since the filter replacements. Any thoughts would be appreciated :salut:

Did you backwash and rinse your sand before you turned it to filter?

Were you SUPER careful to not get any sand down the tube?

Did you fill the filter halfway up with water and carefully put the sand back in?

Sorry to ask questions instead of answering but..............I hope one of these will jump out to say........this is it.

Kim

I backwashed and rinsed, added water above laterals before adding new sand..not sure if i got any sand down the tube? The filter was disconnected from all the plumbing and a new multiport valve was installed with the change of sand. Maybe i did not thoroughly backwash and rinse the new sand that could be the issue. If this is the case will it eventually rinse out after so many backwash cycles?

So I am still not getting the clarity of water from the filter into the pool return I am used too. The pool is clear and chemically balanced and when the filter runs water back to the return it turns a little cloudy. Also when the pump stops and restarts a white cloud of water pushes through the return.

There is not any sand coming through the returns so I dont think the laterals were broken when sand was changed.
When backwashing the water appears milky white and sudsy and doesnt get totally clear after 5 min
I did replace the multiport valve when the sand was changed and rechecked the plumbing everything is correct.
I used Industrial Quartz Sand by UNIMIN CORP (95% retained on 40 mesh or coarser, 3.0 surface profile as abrasive, .50 mm effective size in filtration)

It seems like my sand is somehow not holding particles/channeling and its coming back to pool. Could my problem be the sand? Any thoughts are appreciated

Posting a complete set of test results may help us understand the issue a bit better. That said, I don't believe those specs are for pool sand and I wonder if that sand needs more rinsing? You are there and can probably tell from looking at it if it contains any "dust" or tiny particles which are causing the issue.

okay so I have to ask.......so it was not doing this before you changed the sand and valve???

I would be looking at the sand first then the valve. It might be worth it change the sand just to see what happens.

That is just going with my gut.

Kim

Yes this issue started when i switched over the sand and valve. The valve I used is plumbed exactly the same and is the same multiport valve as before, it was replaced due to a pinhole leak in the side. I am thinking the sand is not going to work or it needs more rinsing as mentioned above. FC 1.75 TC 3.20 PH 7.6 ALK 155 CYA 20 CH 71.

I will provide sand pictures as soon as i get a chance, as far as I can tell no dust or any abnormal particles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.