inSPAration Aromatherapy (Proplylene Glycol) good? bad? Ok?

jv92red

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2013
SoCal
We've been using inSPAration spa and bath scents for a while now in our spa (pool/spa combo). I have not noticed any adverse effects whether it be skin or water balance or sanitation issues. But I wanted to know about the main ingredient being Proplylene Glycol, does this stuff build up over time without splash out like Salt/CYA/Calcium? If so, would there be adverse effects from using this stuff over time if the level of Proplylene Glycol builds higher and higher? Or does it get used up or burn off to where there won't be any concerns? There is no test kit for Proplylene Glycol that I have seen or is there?

From the research I have done on the internet about the safety of Proplylene Glycol, it looks like it's fine in pool/spa water as long as I don't drink it. I also have Borates in my pool but by setting a 50ppm borate level and no source of adders (I have generally rising PH so never use Borax to counter low PH) there is no way of the Borate level of getting into dangerous levels but for Proplylene Glycol, with no way to test and if it builds should I be worried about this? By the way, the FDA includes Propylene Glycol on its Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) list and the World Health Organization also considers it as safe for use.

I think we concluded that it creates some chlorine demand but doesn't result in the bad disinfection by-products I was worried about, though we only had two situations where I had chemical analysis done on the water. As Richard points out, you're adding a very small amount so it's unlikely to be a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.