How hard to replace this piece of pump piping?

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
There is a hairline crack on the top black piece of piping (where the wires are coming out). We have wrapped with yellow plumbers tape and it held for awhile but is back to leaking. We need to replace that entire middle section of pipe. How hard is this to do? Just disconnect the wires, disconnect the pipe and replace with a new piece? Any idea what this piece is called so I can try to find it online? Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Correction - It is just the gray (not black) top piece that has the crack.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 60
The wire from the sensor is going to the SWG. I double checked and the leak is coming from a hairline crack in the white piping piece just below the gray cap/sensor. Do you know a good place to purchase this piping online or just go down to Leslies? Any tips for installation? Thank you!

Lowes or Home Depot or Ace should have what you need.

You have to
  1. kill the pump by shutting it off at the breaker
  2. Unscrew that sensor and set it aside.
  3. saw the pipe off as far away from the filter and as close as you can to the Tee with the sensor in it.
  4. possibly saw it off again somewhere so you can unscrew it from the pump
  5. take the pieces to the store and match the sizes. It looks like maybe you can replace two street elbows and two couplings with a standard elbow. A union will simplify reassembly. Just look for a knowledgeable clerk. That may be the hardest part of it.

I am confused (nothing new). Are you saying the the white PVC fitting is cracked or is sensor cracked?

Assuming that you're talking about the PVC fitting, you are looking for the following schedule 60 PVC fitting listed below. You may need to replace the 2" with the correct size (either 1-1/4", 1-1/2" or even bigger). The threaded part will remain 1/2" threaded regardless of what size pipe you need. I have not had success finding these Tee's at Home Depot, but my local Ace Hardware carries them.

2" (slip) x 2" (slip) x 1/2" (threaded) Tee.
Amazon.com : Hayward GLX-FLO-T Flow Switch Tee Replacement for Hayward Salt Chlorine Generators : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden . You can get it cheaper at your Ace Hardware.

If you're talking about the sensor, then you need a flow sensor. Just do a Google search for "Hayward Flow Sensor". Amazon.com : Hayward GLX-FLO-RP 15-Feet Cable Flow Switch Assembly without Tee Replacement Kit for Hayward Salt Chlorine Generators : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden

Can you give us a zoom out picture of your plumbing and tell us exactly what you are trying to replace?

Minh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.