Itemized quotes

Mar 23, 2009
Hello all - I'm working on quotes from three builders but having trouble getting them to itemize - I'm just getting one number. I have a failing inground vinyl liner pool that is being removed, some drainage corrections to the yard and replacing with a freeform gunite about 16x32 with spa. The existing is a 9ft deep pool and part of the new pool extends over this. One of the builders is run by an engineer and recommends helicoil piers which I agree with. Options include a 10x10 pergola, grill, 3 deck jets and two water scuppers. I'd like to hear experiences on how others have seen/expect quotes to be itemized. These are my thoughts after some research:

Demolition of Old Pool
Drainage Improvements
Foundation Piers
Pool (I understand this is priced by the perimeter measurement?)
Water Features
Plaster (if upgrading beyond white plaster)
Decking
Pool Equipment
Gas Line (mine has to be run from the opposite side of the property)

The numbers I have so far range from 55k to 65k. Your thoughts on this price range are also welcome. I'm in Arlington TX.

Thanks,
Chuck.

The quote sounds in reason. I've rarely seen pool builders that take on the entire project like yours, so some itemization is in order. However, to quote the details of the pool portion might not be my cup of tea. Assuming that the builder is in business to make money, and knowing the risk of quoting a price for each piece of equipment, just so it can be internet shopped, etc., would have most of my customers walking away from such a job. Most builders make money on both equipment and labor.

It sounds a bit snippy, I know, but when confronted with such situations in the past, it turned out that the homeowner wanted to buy all the equipment, and have the builder do the work, so that he only paid for "labor and expertise". Do that with a plumber, or a car mechanic, and you will most often find yourself in a DIY mode. If YOU want to build the pool, then DIY.

Now, having said that, you should for sure ask for at least a breakdown of excavation, construction, including rebar, shotcrete, plaster and tile, and equipment. The gas line run is in most jurisdictions, going to be subbed out, and many other parts of your project may be, too. You should know what is subbed, for your own protection. And, in all fairness, since it IS YOUR money, if you want to know what these bidders are charging you for rebar, plaster, pumps, filters, waterfalls, PVC pipe, and all that, you surely do have a right to ask!

It is unusual for builders to itemize beyond perhaps two or three of the optional upgrades. Builders normally have a couple of standard packages that they build over and over again and for which they have figured out package prices. Itemized pricing implies changes from their standard plans, and that means lots more time for them.

budster said:
The quote sounds in reason. I've rarely seen pool builders that take on the entire project like yours, so some itemization is in order. However, to quote the details of the pool portion might not be my cup of tea. Assuming that the builder is in business to make money, and knowing the risk of quoting a price for each piece of equipment, just so it can be internet shopped, etc., would have most of my customers walking away from such a job. Most builders make money on both equipment and labor.

It sounds a bit snippy, I know, but when confronted with such situations in the past, it turned out that the homeowner wanted to buy all the equipment, and have the builder do the work, so that he only paid for "labor and expertise". Do that with a plumber, or a car mechanic, and you will most often find yourself in a DIY mode. If YOU want to build the pool, then DIY.

Now, having said that, you should for sure ask for at least a breakdown of excavation, construction, including rebar, shotcrete, plaster and tile, and equipment. The gas line run is in most jurisdictions, going to be subbed out, and many other parts of your project may be, too. You should know what is subbed, for your own protection. And, in all fairness, since it IS YOUR money, if you want to know what these bidders are charging you for rebar, plaster, pumps, filters, waterfalls, PVC pipe, and all that, you surely do have a right to ask!

great post my friend... was just talking about this type of situation with a friend of mine who is also a pool builder in my area.. its more of a package price like jason said....

you might be able to save some money contracting the pool demolition out to a demolition company, your pool builder may be doing this already and putting money on top of it. Just and idea

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.