Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak in Cell Body---anyone seen anything like this before

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak in Cell Body---anyone seen anything like this before

I inspected my cell and cleaned it this morning, and I found this leak in the body of it. I think this has been here since I installed it a month ago, as my equipment pad has been wetter since installing my swg but never noticed where it was coming from...my flow sensor leaks too, and thought that was the only place where my leak was coming from

Swg leak in body - YouTube

Anybody seen similar from circupool?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak in Cell Body---anyone seen anything like this before

Question.

When your pump is off, is the SWG still powered up?

The reason I ask, is because if the cell is still powered and trying to make chlorine while pump is off, then a build up of hydrogen gas inside the cell can take place. If the build up becomes too much, it can crack the cell, or worse, make it explode.

It does not happen often to my knowledge, but has been known to.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Question.

When your pump is off, is the SWG still powered up?

The reason I ask, is because if the cell is still powered and trying to make chlorine while pump is off, then a build up of hydrogen gas inside the cell can take place. If the build up becomes too much, it can crack the cell, or worse, make it explode.

It does not happen often to my knowledge, but has been known to.
    We're the instances you heard of caused by an ignition of the hydrogen, or actual pressure inside the cell? You'd almost have to be trying to blow it up I'd think. Like closing valves and such. Just curious. The OP's cell is interesting since it look like just a pinhole. Have you contacted the manufacturer or rep yet? I assume you got it from discountsaltpool. They seem like good people to me. I bought my SI60+ a couple months ago.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

My cell is on the same relay as the pump, so it does not stay on after the pump is off. I did send an email to DSP this morning since they're closed. I have no doubt they'll make it right, especially since it is so new. I was more curious if this is something that has happened to others or if this was a freak thing that just happened to me.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

5. Back To Top    #5

Talked to Don this morning, new cell should be here Friday.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is that a mold line where the leak is? It looks like a pinhole to me as well.

There was a thread a while back where a cell separated at a mold line enough to leak.

I'm glad they're replacing it and your great video no doubt helped them see the problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

No, it wasn't on a mold line...it really seemed bizarre to me. At any rate, the new cell is in and working fine.