Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frequent O-Ring Replacement - Why???

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Frequent O-Ring Replacement - Why???

My wife and I have been frequently replacing the o-ring on the lid of the strainer basket going into the pump. The first o-ring installed (Hayward Pump) lasted a couple years. We are now replacing 1 a week or more. No changes to our water and all chemical levels are good. We thought maybe using Vasoline v.s. pool lube was the problem, that doesn't seem to be it. We have removed the water, cleaned the lid, replaced the o-ring (again), used both Vasoline and/or tube lube and same issues. Any thoughts or troubleshooting ideas? The local "pool" stores don't seem to have a clue.

Thanks in advance!
    24' Round Above Ground, Hayward pump and filter. DE

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frequent O-Ring Replacement - Why???

Hello and welcome to TFP! Happy to have you join us. Well, the one thing that you will hear is that we should never use Vaseline, or any petroleum-based lube. It will destroy the rubber O-ring. Look for a pool product that contains silicone or Teflon.

Your local pool store should have some lube products, but here are a few others:
    Homedepot.com
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-0-5...8693/203193536
    or
    Lowes.com
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_53861-1366-8...1092167&rpp=32
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_316733-1003-...ductId=3152031
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do NOT use vaseline or any other petroleum based lubricant. (THAT is probably the problem.) Use something like this:

Parker O-Ring Lube

4. Back To Top    #4

Having to change an O-ring every week is way too frequent. Maybe there's still some petroleum residue remaining somewhere? There water itself should not have a significant impact, but you are welcome to post a full set of water test numbers from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 for us if you would like us to review.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Replacing the oring weekly indicates a problem with the orings or some sort of chemical attack. Vaseline will damage orings, but over much longer periods of time. I would suspect locally high concentrations of chlorine from trichlor tabs.

What sort of damage is happening to the orings?

Can you post a picture of a damaged oring?

6. Back To Top    #6

You didn't mention why you are replacing the o-rings so frequently. Do you believe the o-rings are causing a suction side leak? (ie bubbles coming out huge return jets) Or is there water leaking from the lid when the pump is off? Do the o-rings have any evidence of damage when you take them off?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

There seems to be no deteriation of the o-rings, they seem to stretch when we take the lid off the strainer basket and then will not fit back in correctly. Next time we have one I'll post.
    24' Round Above Ground, Hayward pump and filter. DE

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe change your supplier of o-rings? Buy from a completely different source, like online. Your current source may be getting o-rings that are made from the wrong material or a defective batch of material.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

9. Back To Top    #9

the oil based lube will make the o-rings lose integrity and stretch
    you need the correct lube
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Hello and welcome to TFP! Happy to have you join us. Well, the one thing that you will hear is that we should never use Vaseline, or any petroleum-based lube. It will destroy the rubber O-ring. Look for a pool product that contains silicone or Teflon.

Your local pool store should have some lube products, but here are a few others:
    Homedepot.com
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-0-5...8693/203193536
    or
    Lowes.com
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_53861-1366-8...1092167&rpp=32
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_316733-1003-...ductId=3152031
    I was unable to get the above links to work. My pump has started leaking from the lid (screw on) part the last few days. My O-ring seems intact and smooth and fits tightly, but is not lubed at all. Could you recommend, by name, something I can grab from lowe's or walmart until I order whatever the recommended lube product is??? Thanks in advance. Can't run my pump like I want because of the leaking!
    22' x 52" Intex UltraFrame ABG, 10,500 gallons
    using TF-100 test kit
    Krystal Klear 633T Filter Type B pump - 2,500 GPH
    Intex wall-mount surface skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

The Lowe's links seemed to have changed, but the Home Depot link still work for me In any case, here is some more info:
    Home Depot: DANCO; Model # 88693, Internet # 203193536, Store SKU # 750700, 0.5 oz. Silicone Faucet Grease

Just mention O-ring silicone at a local pool store and they should have it on-hand as well.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks! I found something at Lowe's online that will work I think. It's silicone based

Shop Aqua EZ O-Ring Lubricant at Lowes.com

Do you think this may be why my pump is leaking from the top?? The O-ring is perfectly dry, not oily or sticky feeling at all, so I'm hoping that's the problem!
    using TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

FYI, I just bought some silicone lube in stock at my local Ace Hardware, and I've bought it at other Ace's in the past for our under-sink water filter O-rings. It was in the plumbing section, not with the other lubricants:

21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

14. Back To Top    #14

awesome, way easier to stop at our Ace than Lowe's, and we don't have a Home Depot.....appreciate it.
    using TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Absolutely by the way. Without a generous amount of lube on that O-ring, there's a significant potential for leaks and tearing/dry-rot of the seal. I hope that does the trick for you.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks. I'm really hoping that's the problem. Pump worked fine, no leaks since last week when we set up pool. Last 2 days it's been leaking, changed from Unicel filter to actual Intex filter thinking it was just a smidge too tall to seat properly and that's what was causing the leaks. But nope, still leaking with actual Intex filter also....pretty sure it's just a lack of lube, I hope, lol!!!
    using TF-100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Hayward only recommends a silicone grease. Petroleum based lubricates will attack the material. Make sure the whole area is clean. Many make a silicone lubricant including Hayward. Jack's 327
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com