Cloudy pool

Aug 16, 2015
Branford, FL
Went on vacation and came home to pool troubles. My pool service was on vacation the week prior to mine so the pool was without service for two weeks. He last saw the pool on July 30. It was fine. I last saw it on August 8 and it appeared to be fine. Green algae made its appearance between 8/8 and when my son discovered it on 8/14. Pool service came and added chlorine (4 lbs) and some algaecide. Green is gone. Now my pool is extremely cloudy. Ph is 7.6, Free Chlorine is 10, Using strips and the total alkalinity is low. I don't have a great test kit, I guess. My grandkids would like to use the pool today. I want it safe and clear. What can I do?

Hello Gigi! Welcoem to TFP. First piece of advice, terminate the pool service. YOU can do it alone. But you need one item - the right test kit. You can order one from TFTestkits.net. I have the TF-100 with speed stir and it's great. I highly recommend it.

With the proper test kit, you need to SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to kill that algae. No more super-shocks, no algaecides either. Those products will destroy your water. Use REGULAR household bleach - generic is fine. Read the SLAM page link above and start buying some regular bleach and we can help you from there once your test kit arrives. That's your best game-plan.

If you have any ore questions, just let us know. Welcome to TFP!

Texas got in before me: I defer to a Guide.

If you can see bottom in the deepest part, the pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 and the FC is not too high for the CYA level, then you can let them in. I just worry about using guess strips. They aren't reliable and your numbers might be different then they show. Pool $tore testing isn't any better.

As for today, should still be able to use the water to swim. Give the grandkids some brushes and tell them to go nuts scrubbing the pool everywhere. :) We don't trust test strips at all, but if you suspect your FC (free chlorine) is high, don't add anything else until the swimming is over. Then, add some regular bleach to the water each evening until you get a test kit. I don't know how big your pool is, so you'll add anywhere from a half gallon to one full gallon each evening.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

I am not sure what you mean by "the FC is not too high for the CYA level". I know I need to get a more reliable test kit. I have a small one that measures only PH and Cl. It is an aquachem two cylinder test kit that uses only red drops and yellow drops.

What you will learn later when you get the proper test kit is that when you refer to that chart here: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart, you will see that your FC level will be related to your current CYA (stabilizer) level. They work hand-in-hand. The higher your CYA level, the higher your FC level must be to keep pace. That holds true whether it is a normal (clear water) day, or if you are doing a "SLAM" at higher levels to clear a cloudy/green pool.

Hi Gigi,
your pool is cloudy because the shocking you did has not killed all of the algae, and the FC level has not been kept at a sufficient level for a long enough time to finish the job. Algaecide doesnt do a very good job of killing algae, and its hit and miss on preventing it from appearing in the first place, which is it's intended purpose. That's the main reason we here at TFP do not recommend using it. For the most part, its a waste of money.

The CYA buffers the effect of Chlorine. You have to keep the FC at a certain level relative to how much CYA (a.k.a. stabilizer), that you have in the pool. Without having a reliable test result for the CYA, its rather impossible to know what your FC level needs to be.

The strips are very inaccurate and pool store testing as well as their advice is biased in their favor. After all, their business is to sell you stuff. Whether you need it or not is mostly irrelevent to the pool store.

For these reasons alone is why we all here recommend you get your very own recommended test kit. No one here benefits from that test kit except you. We dont have skin in the game. We all just want you to have a crystal clear pool, but its difficult to do without reliable water test results.

My reocmmendation today, is threefold.
1. Get yourself a test kit asap.
2. Add 1 gallon of regular household bleach to the pool each day until your test kit arrives.
3. When you recieve your test kit, test the water per the instructions included with it, and post your test results. Once we have that, we will have a clear overall picture of the health of your pool, and can make further recommendations based upon accurate testing.

Not exactly what you were looking for I know, and I wish I could offer more help right now for you, but it's the best I can do.

PS
If you would, please add your pool specifics to your signature. Knowing a bit more about it will make it easier for us to help you.
There is a link at the bottom of Edit Signature. It will take you right where you need to be.
Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

The pool service personnel has recommended that I run my pump 24/7, and to keep taking the filter out and rinsing it. I took out the filter twice yesterday and rinsed it, but it didn't appear to have any debris or anything else coming out of it. What is your recommendation?
My electricity bill is off the charts as even before the algae attach, I was running the pump all the time. I think I have been making the job pretty easy for my pool guy up to this point. My electric bill is $200 a month more than last summer. What is the recommended time for running the pump. I also have an external spray bar that I use to aerate and cool.

Running the pump 24/7 is only recommended here at TFP when doing an actual "SLAM". On any normal given day, running the filter alone will not clear-up water. That's a chemistry issue. So first we need to get you the right test kit so you can confirm the following:
FC
CC
CYA
PH
TA
CH

Then we can really get that water clear for you. It will all make sense from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, Gigi, that's about all you can do for now. You can also sweep the pool from time to time just to keep things agitated. But other than the bleach, there's no sense adding chemicals until your kit arrives. You made a wise choice though ordering one. When it comes to pool care, there's no substitute for accurate water readings. :goodjob:

I got my test kit today and have done some tests. Here are the results.
FC 9
CC 0.5
TC 9.5
CH 200
TA 90
CYA less than 20
PH 7.5
Cl 5
BR 10

Pool is still cloudy with filter running 24/7 and bleach being added each day. What is my next step to clarify the water, please?

Well done! Okay, if your CYA is less than 20, then your SLAM FC level needs to be maintained at 10. So always keep enough bleach around to make sure the FC stays at or slightly above 10, but not too much higher.

You should also add a little stabilizer to bring your CYA up and protect the FC from the sun. Lots of sun in FL. :) I would recommend a target CYA of 40. Since we're not exactly sure how low (below 20) your CYA is right now, I would increase in increments of 10ppm at a time. Your pool size, the calculator says to add 24 ounces of granular stabilizer to go up by 10. So I would do that - add 24 oz for now. You can use the sock method near a return jet. Do you know that trick?

During your SLAM, don't bother testing anything other than FC until your water starts to get better. Then you can start checking the CC once or twice a day. Near the end, when you think you are getting close to completing the SLAM, you can do an OCLT, but we'll address that later.

Welcome to the foum Gigi :wave::wave:

What did you target for the CYA ?? That target would determine how much chlorine (FC) you can have and be safe. You should be safe up to the SLAM level. Good idea if it's that high to rinse out your swimsuits after being in the pool. If you added enough stabilizer to bring it up to 40ppm or more you're ok.
There is chlorine and bromine. Bromine is normally used in a stand alone spa and in your case you can forget reporting it as you don't have any in your pool, just the FC.

- - - Updated - - -

As for cleaning the filter you need to monitor the pressure gauge. What is recommended is once it climbs 20-25% from the clean pressure it's time to do it again.

Pool School - > Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support