Cloudy pool

You are correct! :) When you know all the swimming is done, add the bleach and wait about 30 minutes with the pump mixing it. Confirm after about 30 minutes that it raised that FC to 31 - if you get to 30 that will work too. Record that number and compare it to what you test in the morning. (i.e. FC of 30 at night, FC of 29 in the morning). We'll know for sure if you need to SLAM after than test.

Of all the FC testing you are used to doing during the day, the OLCT is the most critical because however and whatever you do in your testing at night, you want to be identical the next morning (heaping scoop of power, water in test tube exactly the same level, etc). So try your best to be accurate and standardized and we'll see how those numbers look tomorrow morning.

You havent failed Gigi, 33 is fine.
Just test again in the morning before the sun comes up.

The purpose of the test is to see if there is any chlorine loss overnight. If you have more than 1ppm loss, then there is still something in the pool which is consuming your chlorine.

:)

4:30 a.m. tests
Since these tests were pre coffee, I repeated the test 5 times. Here are the results; 33, 33, 30, 30, 30. It does appear that I lost chorine overnight on the last three test attempts. My bed is calling me, I will be back in a couple of hours.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt for this purpose and these results that it matters, but I didn't turn off the SWG...not even sure I know how to do that and keep the filter running. I will need instructions to do that, I guess.

Turing off the SWG is kind of important. Unless it isn't functional it is adding Cl which you are trying to measure a loss of. On mine there is a dial that I just turn all the way down to 0% Maybe you have something similar.

Usually I suggest turning it off during a SLAM, since you are going to be adding large amounts of Cl might as well save the cell life. I see you're not SLAMming now, but just something to note if you ever have to.

According to the test I guess I need to SLAM......I won't be able to do anything until tonight....I have a Pentair Intellichlor SWG....can someone tell me how to turn it off? To SLAM, I am just keeping that FC level at 31, right. I have to leave town today and it will be tomorrow before I can work on this diligently. I will be back tonight and can add more chlorine..will that work? or will I be back at square one?

That's correct Gigi. FC at 31 with SWG off or set to zero. I don't have that SWG, so I can't tell you specifically how to adjust, maybe someone else will know. Once you start your SLAM, there's no need to test anything else but your FC for a while okay.

My swg currently says I need salt...I don't need to add salt until this process is complete, right?
Then for the SLAM, I am just looking for the results of the Overnight Free Chlorine....?? Am I allowed to do another post asking how to turn off the SWG?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure, you can ask a specific question on another post. That might gain more attention to that specific issue, then you can come back here for the cloudiness. Not adding salt may not hurt anything right now since you don't need the SWG for a SLAM, but they can answer that too.

When you start your SLAM and start to keep the FC at 31, you'll need to do that until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria:
- Clear water
- CC at or less than .5
- OCLT not to exceed 1 ppm

So just keep it going until your water really starts to improve, then you'll know you are close. Make sure to scrub the pool floor, walls, etc, and clean the filter at least once a day to remove any dead algae and stuff. Good luck!

Hi Gigi,
We all want to help you out with clearing your pool and completing the SLAM. But it seems there is a lot of wondering off track.
We'll help you with all of your problems, but you need to FOCUS on completing the SLAM first. All of the rest can wait as it has no bearing on clearing your pool.

The SWG is to be turned off for the SLAM.

the M in Slam means Maintain the chlorine level. That means add chlorine however often is required to Maintain the FC so the algae can be killed off. And brush the pool daily, and run your Pump 24/7. Its that simple.

Your pool will clear up so much quicker by keeping it simple and uncomplicated. Focus on the SLAM first and not get too sidetracked and continue to be confused.

SWG wasn't off....CYA reading was 80 last night prior to adding chlorine. Have to be away until tomorrow night...I can measure levels tonight if needed, but won't have time to measure tomorrow morning. I will have to repeat the OCLT test Monday night and Tuesday morning....readings were without coffee....

Yea...I think I have completed the SLAM with success.....with the SWG turned down to zero, there is no FC loss, water is clear and there are 0 CC. Now I would like to work on reducing the FC....even after a sunny day, the FC level was 24 before I added more bleach last night. If I understand correctly I need to get the FC down to 10 before I begin to test and adjust the pH, correct? What is the next thing I should be doing? Thanks in advance.

You are correct Gigi. Testing your pH should be done when the FC is under 10, otherwise it will read high. Congrats on the SLAM! :goodjob: Glad to hear it. Now your FC should sink fairly quickly on its own from the sun, and you'll let it go down to your recommend level for a SWG pool - probably around 5-6 or so. You'll need to experiment with your SWG settings and run-time so that it doesn't over-produce FC to allow that level to drop naturally. Try to not ever let it go below 5 though. Very happy for you ... and your pool. :) Enjoy! :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support