K-2006 test CH... Is this purple or Blue

Aug 11, 2015
Ankeny, IA
Uuuugggg I thought I knew but now I am questioning my eyes. And I just had Lasik in Feb.... Also my red looks like a bright vibrant pink... Is this red? Also 3 tests tested different....

Test one. Didn't take pics...140 CH

Test...2 of 3... 270 CH
View attachment 41744View attachment 41745

Test 3 or 3... 325 CH
View attachment 41746View attachment 41747 so so so confused....

all li other results from tonight....just finished SLAM so have not put my Trichlor pucks in skimmer, wanted to let Chlorine drift down.

FC 3.5
CC 1.0
TC 4.5
PH 7.5
ALK 160
CH ????
CYA 80

Yesterdays test.
FC 8.2
CC 0.4
TC 8.6
PH 7.5
ALK 180
CH 340....pretty sure
CYA 80

Just got Taylor Test yesterday so I am new at this... Thank you.

pool is 18x36 with deep end, vinyl, installed in 1986. Tagelus TA60 filter, 1 HP Starite P2R pump, Hayward top mount Multivale.

Assuming those are the 2006 vials (?? Mine look very different), Test 2 of 3 appears to be 25 ml which is the standard for CH. Allowing for color differentials in photos, the colors are representative of what I see. When you did the 10 ml test version did you correctly adjust the reagents down? That test should use 10 drops of buffer, and 3 drops of R11 to turn it red.

It's considered to be blue. You are going from red to blue pretty clearly. Don't worry about the red being more pinkish.

I can't explain why you are getting such different results. Make sure that your dropper tip doesn't have static electricity which would have the drops squirt out instead of coming out well-formed and hanging from the dropper tip. Wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth before you start the test.

Yes. those are the colors Red and Blue your looking for.

I don't have my instructions in front of me but I'm guessing the different results you're getting are because there are differences in the number of reagent drops to set up the 10ml vs 25ml tests. You may have used the incorrect number of drops for one of those tests. Also, the multiplier number is different for 10ml vs 25ml.

Suggest you don't use any more pucks because they add CYA and your's is already approaching the point of creating an unmanageable pool. Please switch to liquid chlorine before it's too late!

For Test 2 with a 25 ml water sample, each drop is 10 ppm. For test 3 with a 10 ml water sample, each drop is 25 ppm. See Extended Test Kit Directions for CH. However, I don't think that the source of the error because the values aren't off by a factor of 2.5. I think the problem is with the titrant drop size and the CH got worse each time possibly indicating static electricity buildup. Though this problem is more common with the TA test, it can happen with other drop tests.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am actually in the process of switching to liquid bleach. I am very nervous of using very high percentage of liquid chlorine do to the fact that I just had new liner put in 2 years ago. We have really been struggling with the pool this year. We have just come off of SLAM due to a very bad case of white mold. When we started seeing it we planned to SLAM and get rid of it. Well just at that time. My motor went out on pump. Pool was completely shut off and non working for over a week. Mold/and what I belive was some algae took hold. It has been a bear! Summer is almost over here in Ankeny Iowa and I have put hundreds and hundreds of dollars in this thing and have not even got to use it once. I seriously hope to rectify that this week as we finish all the repairs tomorrow. Poo. Is almost completely clear. Can see drain and bottom of deep end. Tomorrow we are replacing all sand and installing our new multivalve. For the last three or R years we have had very large amounts of sand in pool and on ground at backwash hose. Replaced hub/laterals and stand pipe and still sand. I think partially due to incorrect sand amounts told to us by pool supply company. So tomorrow hopefully things start looking up. Also I do only use baking soda and soda ash.
Again, thank you very much and I will retest all parts tomorrow. BTW. ON THE 10ml I did do 10/3/and drop count x 25... Not sure how I messed it up but will retest tomorrow. The different vial are extras I bought because i like to use individual ones. This is what I bought.....

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am actually in the process of switching to liquid bleach.
I am very nervous of using very high percentage of liquid chlorine do to the fact that I just had new liner put in 2 years ago.
We have really been struggling with the pool this year. We have just come off of SLAM due to a very bad case of white mold. When we started seeing it we planned to SLAM and get rid of it. Well just at that time. My motor went out on pump. Pool was completely shut off and non working for over a week. Mold/and what I belive was some algae took hold. It has been a bear! Summer is almost over here in Ankeny Iowa and I have put hundreds and hundreds of dollars in this thing and have not even got to use it once. I seriously hope to rectify that this week as we finish all the repairs tomorrow. Poo. Is almost completely clear. Can see drain and bottom of deep end. Tomorrow we are replacing all sand and installing our new multivalve. For the last three or R years we have had very large amounts of sand in pool and on ground at backwash hose. Replaced hub/laterals and stand pipe and still sand. I think partially due to incorrect sand amounts told to us by pool supply company. So tomorrow hopefully things start looking up. Also I do only use baking soda and soda ash.
Again, thank you very much and I will retest all parts tomorrow. BTW. ON THE 10ml I did do 10/3/and drop count x 25... Not sure how I messed it up but will retest tomorrow. The different vial are extras I bought because i like to use individual ones. This is what I bought.....

You said "I am very nervous of using very high percentage of liquid chlorine do to the fact that I just had new liner put in 2 years ago. "

No reason to be. The level of chlorine you need is directly related to the CYA you have. The CYA acts as a buffer so the chlorine is not actively as high as the test shows. As your pool uses chlorine the CYA releases what it holding, to keep the FC level constant.

In fact your FC is TOO LOW right now. It should be 9 at all times. In your case, since you have been fighting the green meanies, I would even target a little higher, like 10 or 11. Just to be safe.

Here is the chart you need to look at: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

With a CYA of 80 your target is 9. But like I said, I would shoot just a little higher for a while. Also, your CC is slightly elevated, which could mean you are still fighting something in the pool.

You mentioned that you are recently off of a SLAM. Did you pass all 3 criteria before you ended it?

One other thing I noticed. You mention using pucks. They are the reason you're CYA is so high. There is almost as much CYA in each puck as there is chlorine. You really don't want more CYA than you have now, so stop the pucks. Just use plain bleach. Or liquid chlorine. No powdered chlorine for your pool.

Just make sure that when you add any concentrated chemical (but particularly acid or bleach) that you do so slowly over a return flow with the pump running and that you then lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool in the area where you've added that chemical to ensure thorough mixing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.