Fine organic matter on bottom of pool

Jul 3, 2015
Embro, ON
Hello, all.

Intex 16'x48" AGP, old Intex SWCG, new Intex 1500 gph cartridge pump. VEEERRRRYYYY slowly getting this 5-year swamp cleaned up, many challenges along the way.

At this point, pump is running 24/7 with NO filter, other than a sock in the skimmer to keep the big stuff out of the pump. Water is pretty much clear, no green anywhere! [emoji2] Filters aren't being used as they just clog in a matter of minutes due to the following problem.

There is very fine matter on the pool floor that is causing me to lose sleep. It's decayed leaves I believe. We've scooped all we can with a leaf rake, tried vacuuming with a pressure-side vacuum with a pillow case instead of the mesh bag, a shop vac, etc. The stuff is so fine, it just clouds the water, and settles back to the bottom in a few hours. I'm stumped.

Is it time to try flocculant or clarifier? I'm thinking with floc, I could vacuum it up once the coagulated pieces were large enough. I know it's frowned upon here, but I'm desperate - I'd like to use the pool SOMETIME this summer!

Thanks in advance
Darren

Sent from my Bell Mobility Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Can you provide a full set of test results? FC. CC, pH, CA, TA, CYA

How does the water look? Are you sure you've not got an algae outbreak going on?? If you have any solids you need to be getting them out. If your filter is clogging, its doing what its supposed to do-grabbing the schmutz! You need to clean the filters and replace them as they do, so you can continue to grab the schmutz.

Can you provide a full set of test results? FC. CC, pH, CA, TA, CYA

How does the water look? Are you sure you've not got an algae outbreak going on?? If you have any solids you need to be getting them out. If your filter is clogging, its doing what its supposed to do-grabbing the schmutz! You need to clean the filters and replace them as they do, so you can continue to grab the schmutz.
+1

Your filter is doing it's job, you need to clean it when it's dirty.

You could try vacuuming to waste, leave the cartridge out and disconnect the water return at the pool. Instead of the gunk that you vac up going back into the pool it will run out into the yard.

Work quickly if you don't want to replace too much water. You could do this a couple of times until you remove enough to make your filter cleaning more manageable.

How are you testing your water?

Please post the requested test results if you can.

Dom

FC: 20
CC: 1
pH: 7.8
CA: 150
TA: 200
CYA: 20

TF-100 test kit.

Water is very clear. Haven't done an OCLT, but Cl has been high for at least a week. I know my CYA has to come up, but the SWCG is doing an awesome job of keeping the Cl up, so I'll worry about the CYA after I drop the Cl.

I guess dumping to waste is the best option, I just hate to lose the water. We're on a well here.

I stopped using filters because I've plugged 8 of them, to the point where no amount of rinsing makes them usable. Once the schmutz is off the bottom, filter will go back in.

Guess I'll buy a vac hose this week. Already have a suction side vac head.

In hindsight, I should have drained & scrubbed & cleaned, then brought a water truck out to fill - would have saved weeks of work. Lol thought I was up for a challenge, and got one!

Thanks
Darren

So I've bought a vac hose, and I've started vacuuming the bottom. Most of the crud is dead & decaying algae... but then there's the pine needles. Too small to scoop off the bottom, they get stuck in the impellers of my cheap Intex pumps (I have an 800 & 1500 gph), and bring the process to a screeching halt. Some success with moving an inch every 15 seconds, but eventually I still have to stop, unblock the pump, and start again. Sigh.

Ya gets what ya pays for! 90% of my issues with this pool have been equipment problems.

Looks to me that your FC (20 ppm) is much too high for your CYA (20 ppm). Per the FC / cya chart, FC Shock level for 20 ppm cya is 10 ppm. Save some wear and tear on your SWCG and lower it to 10 ppm. Also assume that you are not swimming in the pool.

So I've bought a vac hose, and I've started vacuuming the bottom. Most of the crud is dead & decaying algae... but then there's the pine needles. Too small to scoop off the bottom, they get stuck in the impellers of my cheap Intex pumps (I have an 800 & 1500 gph), and bring the process to a screeching halt. Some success with moving an inch every 15 seconds, but eventually I still have to stop, unblock the pump, and start again. Sigh.

Ya gets what ya pays for! 90% of my issues with this pool have been equipment problems.
What a pain! I think you nailed the essential problem. YOur Intex filters are simply too small to handle a big job. We see that often over the years with Intex. The stuff they may is just inadequate.......that's why they offer so many upgrades.

You might look around on Craigslist for a pool pump and filter. In this case, size matters. If you can find something of a good size, you can ditch the Intex pumps/filters. If not you just have to live with them and once you get the pool cleaned, they will do a marginal job at keeping it clean. Can you tell I am not an intex fan?

Pine needles will be a problem most pumps, not just the Intex pumps. Try to get as many out as possible with your skimmer or leaf rake.

As mentioned, your FC is about double the recommended shock level for your CYA. If you are SLAMing you should have your SWG off and use liquid chlorine to save your SWG cell.

I do agree, those pumps are really too small for practical use on a pool of your size. First thing I did for my 18'X48" was upgrade to a 2150GPH pump/14" sand filter & installed a through wall skimmer. I can vacuum through the skimmer, and using a nylon stocking as a skimmer sock nothing gets to the pump/filter.

Those pine needles will be a challenge for sure, they will use up FC (especially as they begin to decompose), as well as the pump issues. You should really let your FC drop to your proper SLAM level and get in the pool and scoop out as many needles as possible.

Dom

Try putting a knee high over top of your debris net. It helps the smaller stuff stay on the net so you can scoop it out. My old pool location was right under a pine tree. I always had hard to get stuff from the tree in the pool. After your chlorine drops a little, do a "whirlpool" so the stuff goes to the center, then use the net with the panty hose to scoop. I have put cheese cloth or paper towel as a sort of filter between the pantyhose and net, with some success, too.

We've scooped as much as we can, what's left seems to go right through the skimmers & leaf rake. I've tried a pressure side vac with a pillow case instead of the mesh bag, that just pulverizes the algae & leaves the needles on the bottom.

I do have an Intex skimmer, and I've lined the basket with a sock, which prevents most big stuff from getting to the pump & filter.

I'm about ready to give up for this year. I'm only home on weekends, and the people home during the week seem to have little interest in getting this thing going.

Darren

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.