Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide or No Slide...that is the question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Slide or No Slide...that is the question.

Starting the build yesterday...on our way. (Can't show pics since I reached my limit??!?)

Anyway, we have to decide on a slide so they can put the plumbing in the right spot. We wanted to wait till next year, but they my other half raised the question....do we really need one.
    Do you have one? Is it used that much or take up too much space.
    I do have a 3 year old...but then just us too. Also, this is a sport pool with 5 1/2' depth.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slide or No Slide...that is the question.

we wanted one for our pool as our 2 kids would love it. We reached out to the insurance broker and they told us that there is only 1 insurance company in the state that will cover a slide in a pool and I will not like what they are charging. Needless to say we decided against it! You may want to plum for a water feature regardless so you can add down the road or if you decide to sell the house it is there for the next person. I had plumbing added for a water feature later down the road.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by currentking View Post
    we wanted one for our pool as our 2 kids would love it. We reached out to the insurance broker and they told us that there is only 1 insurance company in the state that will cover a slide in a pool and I will not like what they are charging. Needless to say we decided against it! You may want to plum for a water feature regardless so you can add down the road or if you decide to sell the house it is there for the next person. I had plumbing added for a water feature later down the road.
    Interesting...I never asked insurance about a slide, just a diving board. How dangerous is a slide??

4. Back To Top    #4

If your pool is only 5 1/2' deep then I wouldn't recommend a slide. Ours is 8 1/2' deep and the adrenaline slide we have still shoots people to the bottom of the pool. 5 1/2' is just not deep enough for a slide or a diving board

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmmm, well of course PB will sell us anything. I have 3 deck jets on the other side, so maybe that will be good enough, and beats a little pipe sticking up.

6. Back To Top    #6

With insurance companies the way they are... I would not do one. I don't have personal experience other than 2nd hand information but, even if your current insurance company says it is ok, if you ever have to change insurance it could become a problem or your current insurance company might change their rules upon a renewal.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Having hit my forehead on the floor of a neighbor's pool as a child after going down the slide head first (not a practice I would recommend), I can confirm that they can be somewhat dangerous. I was lucky and only needed stitches but I am well aware that it could have been much worse.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

8. Back To Top    #8

I have one and I don't think it really affects our insurance. On the other hand the pool and slide was already installed when we bought the house and I wasn't going to dismantle it based on insurance quotes. I hate what insurance companies have turned into. Their only purpose now is to ensure you have live a boring life. Anything remotely fun is either not covered or carries unreasonable premiums.

The slide is great fun for kids. We visited my brother-in-law outside Pittsburgh earlier this summer who also has one. My 3 year old loved it (I spotted him the first few times down) and prompt us to recondition ours right away. I get it back in a couple days.

BTW- 5 1/2' is an absolutely reasonable depth. You go down the slide feet first and even if you go down head first, you get projected out over the water, not down into it like you would off a diving board. Width of the landing area is more of a concern for a slide, than depth of water.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

9. Back To Top    #9

Slides will normally tell you the minimum depth required. We have a built in slide that required 3 1/2 or 4 feet. The Hotel Hershey has two large slides that come down in about three feet of water. The width of the slide area is also important as you need enough to room to slide across. In
    My case the insurance company didn't even ask if we had a slide- only a diving board. However, going head first could be problematic and unless you are always watching you may be unable to stop
    Kids from being reckless and that will increase the chance of a serious injury (if the kid goes directly down instead of across the pool).
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

10. Back To Top    #10

When I grew up we had a slide into a 4' AGP. I can tell you right now, if you have a slide "head first" will be the only way anyone will ever want to go. Sitting upright with your arms extended straight, "the safe way", gets lame and boring pretty quick. It wasn't long before we were kneeling and trying to ride different floats down the slide. Yeah, it's amazing we survived and became the reckless adults we are today.

I'm not saying don't get a slide, just realize it will definitely lead to more dangerous practices the second you turn your head.

ac

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm sure others will disagree but I have a slide for my above ground pool...it's an Sr Smith...my six year old and his friends love it...I go down it all the time..including head first and have never come close to hitting the bottom...I called my insurance company beforehand..state farm...and they said no problem at all....I was quite surprised and restated that it's an above ground pool....they said yep no problem...no increase in rates....

13,500 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Raypak Natural Gas Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

13,500 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jbriggs1219 View Post
    I'm sure others will disagree but I have a slide for my above ground pool...it's an Sr Smith...my six year old and his friends love it...I go down it all the time..including head first and have never come close to hitting the bottom...I called my insurance company beforehand..state farm...and they said no problem at all....I was quite surprised and restated that it's an above ground pool....they said yep no problem...no increase in rates....

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    I wish here in Florida we could get State Farm or Allstate for home owners insurance. I go through Allstate but they make it clear that they are not thte insurance company. State Farm has talked about offering homeowners insurance again in Florida but has not.

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow..they're so huge figured they were everywhere...bummer

13,500 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

I got the same from insurance agent. Insurance companies here will insure for a slide but it cost and diving boards they won't. Stinks as be are having a pool deep enough fora slide.

16. Back To Top    #16

The instructions that came with my slide says 4.5 feet minimum depth...my pool only 4 feet and seriously never come close to hitting the bottom...it propels you off so u never go straight down....

13,500 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

My agent told me if I really wanted a slide I could get one and not tell the insurance company but if for some reason I filed a claim or i changed something in the policy someone would come out and look at the house and at that time would see the slide.

18. Back To Top    #18

I am considering the SR Smith Typhoon. Does anyone have it?
    Seems the most logic and safe for our set up. Plus doesn't eat up so much space.

As for width of deep end, we are good. Have a 35' x 20' pool.

19. Back To Top    #19

I am in AR and my neighbor is a district manager for Farmers Ins. He told me slides and diving boards here are not a problem as long you have a fence. He said trampolines are another story though.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

20. Back To Top    #20

Not sure I have the Sr Smith rogue 2....and I agree definitely want to have a fence

13,500 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast