Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae caused by chlorine???????

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae caused by chlorine???????

OK, here is a weird one for you guys.... hope you can help me. I have a new pool - 35,000 gal, rough concrete waiting for tile to arrive. We're using the pool until the tile gets here. The chemistry is still out of whack, i.e the PH is 8.0, not enough CYA yet etc. But here is the weird thing...

I'm using powdered Trichlor, adding until my FC is about 7PPM at night, the sun cooks it off during the day until it is about 1-2PPM in the late afternoon then I repeat the process. I have very little to no CC and the water is crystal clear. BUT... it looks like spots of green algae are growing on the floor but I deduced that it only happens where I put the chlorine. I mix the Trichlor in a bucket of water then pour it into the pool. There is a bit of residual powder that doesn't get dissolved and it sits on the bottom - the next day, right where the powder was is a patch of what looks like green algae. It doesn't keep growing and it doesn't go away. Has anyone encountered this before? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae caused by chlorine???????

Do you have your own *good* test kit yet? For a big pool like yours I would suggest the TF-100 <link in my siggy line>. You need it STAT!

How about a full set of test results and we can see what's in need of tweaking. What has been put in the pool up to this point? How much CYA have you added? New plaster often causes pH to rise, and you need to control your chemistry so that your plaster cures properly.

In the meantime, why not use liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") to chlorinate and see if that works better for you? I don't believe letting undisolved chemicals lay on your new plaster is a good idea and may cause problems you'll regret.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm thinking the "algae" is staining/bleaching form the chlorine sitting on the bottom.

How long have you been add the TriChlor like this?

A full set of test results including CYA would help.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Leaving trichlor on the floor of your pool is going to bleach or stain it, period. Happened to me a couple times in my pre-TFP days when I would just chuck the floater in and the lid would pop off.

If I were to take a shot in the dark I would say you have copper in your water and the low pH and high FC in that area is causing it to stain your pool. But, again, total shot in the dark.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Short answer....chlorine kills algae, it doesn't grow it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I wonder if that trichlor has some copper in it? A lot of the cloroxpool stuff has additives. It could be metal staining.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

That seems like the only option to me.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Ummm, dumb question, but being rough concrete could the concrete itself also still be leaching multiple things until fully cured and/or covered in tile? Even if only enough to further react with the trichlor?
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the replies. I'm using the Taylor K-2006 kit. Here are all the test results:
    FC - 3.2
    CC - 0
    PH - 8.0
    CH - 1100 (yes 1,100 ppm)
    CYA -less than 20
    TA -250

So, the pool is new, the concrete has had Fester additive to make it impermeable. I've only had water in it for 2 weeks and I was hoping to get the PH down by adding Trichlor and having the CYA do the job. I think that may take longer than I thought.

The "staining" sure looks organic to me, kind of slimy to touch and dark green in color. I wondered about copper but I don't know what it looks like.

10. Back To Top    #10

Algae will brush away. Staining will not.

Go find the packaging from the trichlor and tell us what it says.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

OK, this definitely brushes off. The trichlor is by Astral Pools. The label says "Trichloroisocyanuric acid powder".
    It is 90% available chlorine. I had a look at the MSDS sheet on it but it only deals with the 97% powder, not the other 3%. I'm in Mexico so maybe the other 3% is Tequila?

12. Back To Top    #12

Doubtful.

So you have Algae then. It's a matter of FC getting too low, and with 3.2 showing, I imagine you've had windows for growth more often than you think. You've got more going on with the pH and Calcium, but if you are draining to install tile soon you might be ok. Still, it might be better to not have a scaled surface prior to install.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Strange though that the only place the algae grows is where the powdered chlorine sits on the bottom....

Hopefully a good scrub with the pressure washer will clean the surface enough for the tiles. I don't see any scale. Do you think I will need to do something else like wash with acid or something?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dndntsd View Post
    Strange though that the only place the algae grows is where the powdered chlorine sits on the bottom....

Hopefully a good scrub with the pressure washer will clean the surface enough for the tiles. I don't see any scale. Do you think I will need to do something else like wash with acid or something?
    Trichlor is very acidic. It may have started etching the surface where it always settles in the same spot. Algae clings and grows better on rough surfaces than on smooth surfaces. For instance, you're more likely to see it growing on grout than right next to it on the smooth glazed tile. Even the mildew in the shower does the same.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Even the mildew in the shower does the same.
    Sounds like time for a shower slam. I have the wife on full automation to take care of any of that from forming in my shower.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
    Sounds like time for a shower slam. I have the wife on full automation to take care of any of that from forming in my shower.
    The current shower is a fiberglass one piece. The old house had tile. I installed it myself. Calcium white tiles with mildew black grout. Once a year cleaning was enough.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think this may be one of the great mysteries of life. I've changed how I add the Trichlor; I take more time to dilute it and make sure there is no powder residue on the pool bottom. So far the algae has not returned. Problem solved I guess.

18. Back To Top    #18

Any chance the pool builder used a copper-containing algaecide when your pool was initially filled?

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀