Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blue/Green Cloudy Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Blue/Green Cloudy Pool

Cannot seem to get pool cleared. Blue/green cloudy look. Especially in deep end (8feet). Test reads the following:
    Total Hardness: 250ppm
    Total Chlorine: 7ppm
    Free Chlorine: 8 ppm
    PH: 7.4-7.6
    Total Alkalinity: 80ppm
    Stabilizer: 250ppm
    Please help this all came on in about 4 days. Went from clear to this. Have tried shocking, algeacide, dumping water and refilling....appreciate any and all assistance
    Inground, vinyl, about 20000 gallons, sand filter, cloroxpool.com pool&spa multi-use smart strips. Pool 2.5 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blue/Green Cloudy Pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using?
    It is not possible for the Total to be less than the Free chlorine.

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up the pool. Your FC is much too low right now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am using just store bought test strips. I have tried shocking to no help. From what I have been reading should I add store bought bleach to up the chlorine level?
    Inground, vinyl, about 20000 gallons, sand filter, cloroxpool.com pool&spa multi-use smart strips. Pool 2.5 years old.

4. Back To Top    #4

We do use regular bleach as our primary sanitation agent, but you need to proper test kit to know how much to add. Unfortunately, test strips aren't worth the paper they are printed on, and pool store testing is just as bad. You really need a good test kit as noted above in Jason's signature, or below in mine. I have the TF-100 and it's fantastic. It all starts with the right test kit, otherwise everything you do will be a guess.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I will get a new test kit as suggested in the many posts I have read, but in the meantime until I order and it arrives, suggestions?

6. Back To Top    #6

Simply add one regular gallon of bleach to your water each evening. Let it mix and sweep occasionally until your kit arrives. It won't clear the water, but hopefully will keep it from turning into a full-blown algae bloom. Once your kit arrives, post a full set of numbers for us and we can get aggressive at that point.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and do NOT put anything else in your water at this point. No algaecides, tablets, pucks, bags of pools tore shock, etc. Those are no-no's.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

I figured putting in pool store shock as suggested, was not the answer when it started getting worse. Any suggestions on where to order? I found one site but it said 10 days for delivery...

8. Back To Top    #8

Sure, click on the link below in my signature (TF-100). from there you can chose either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Here is a link that shows how they match-up. Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I love the TF-100, and it has lots of reagents. Also consider asking for the Speed stir to help you mix the agents like a pro. Great stuff.

9. Back To Top    #9

You will need to slam so speed stir is nice but more important is to have the XL option if you order the TF100 kit, if you can afford I will order the three of them
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

If your stabilizer (CYA) is really that high then you will probably need to drain and refill a good part of your pool. However - I would wait until you get your own test results to confirm it is really that high.

Welcome - you are in the right place - everyone here will really help you out. I also recommend getting the speed stir - it makes it so much easier....... I love mine. I didn't order it until after I performed the tests myself the first time, then I understood why everyone that had one raved about it.
    ~17,000 gallon IG Pool (32x17 Oval) - Vinyl Liner
    Taylor K-2006C
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 Cleaner
    Well water