Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will top poles straighten when filled?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will top poles straighten when filled?

I have a 9'x18'x4' pool that I'm filling. For the 2nd time. The first time, it was wayyy off. My brother and I built a wood frame and leveled it. Filled it with dirt and using 2 2x4x12's screwed together, we leveled the dirt the best we could all the way across. It has about a foot of water in it now and the sides are bowing in like the last time. I measured the water in all 4 corners. One of the 9' sides is 12" in both corners. The other 9' side is 11" in both corners. Please dear God tell me that's not too much of a difference. Will the frame poles straighten up as the pool fills?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will top poles straighten when filled?

If you have ADDED dirt, good luck. You should always dig down from lowest to highest points.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

As mentioned if you tried filling the low spots instead of digging down the high spots there is no telling how that pool will settle once full (@ 42" of water there will be over 17 TONS of weight in that pool, about 35,000 pounds).

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Jimmy, it is really hard to level that way, it "can" be done but you have to use water and a plate compactor to level 1 inch at a time.. this will still not guarantee it will not settle as the weight of the pool/water goes in...

that is why we recommend digging down the high sides level with the low areas.

I did both, dug down and then built up with 1 inch screenings and sand

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

To answer my own question, yes they straighten out when the pool is full.20150816_174440.jpg
    Coleman 9x18x4' above ground pool.