Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine to High...

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine to High...

Is my Chlorine to high 10ppm? All my other water test results are fine. I'm new to this pool stuff..I have a Salt system by Goldline..Should I shut the pool chlorinator off for a few days?? I first had it at 50% and 35% and know 25% and it's still sitting at 10ppm. I also have a pool cover that I keep closed all week should I crack that open as well..I love the pool cover it keeps my pool clean... Any info would be great...Thanks...
    18,000 Gallon IG, Gunite, Cartridge filters
    Rainbow 320 Chlorine feeder (not in use anymore), 2.0HP Pentair WhisperFlo
    Legend Platinum Hummer Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Chlorine to High...

Welcome to TFP!

It would help greatly if you could post a full set of water test results. FC of 10 might be too low, just right, or too high, depending on some of your other numbers. Odds are it is too high, but there is no way of saying without knowing you other numbers.

If you keep the pool covered nearly all the time, it is common for the percentage on the SWG to need to be quite low. Opening the pool cover will lower the FC level, but it would be best to know if that is a good idea or not first.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason for the reply..Her are my other results

PH is 7.6

Total Alkalinity is 90

Calcium Hardness is 165

Cyanuric Acid is 30

phosphates is 100

Salt is 3300
    18,000 Gallon IG, Gunite, Cartridge filters
    Rainbow 320 Chlorine feeder (not in use anymore), 2.0HP Pentair WhisperFlo
    Legend Platinum Hummer Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

Recommended free chlorine levels for SWGs are 5% of the CYA level so you could probably get away with a FC level of 2 ppm with a CYA of 30 ppm.

However, with a SWG, you would be better off with a CYA closer to 80 ppm and FC level of 4 ppm. Goldline recommends a CYA level of 60-80 ppm and it is easier to maintain a constant FC level when the CYA is closer to 80 ppm.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Indiana

A little on the high side, a range from 2-6 from the pool calculator is ideal. Please see the below links for great resources.

Pool School FC/CYA Chart
    Pool Calculator

[Edit] Sorry to be redundant, the other reply came through while I was typing mine! [End Edit]
    21K Gal, IG, Vinyl, Bleach-Borax-Baking Soda, 3/4HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, 200,000BTU Heater, TF100 Testkit
    "All that we are arises with our thoughts." - Buddha
    “When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” - Dale Carnegie

6. Back To Top    #6

Perhaps this thread will help:

7. Back To Top    #7

San Rafael, CA USA

Just note that if you have the pool cover on most of the time and don't find the rise in pH to be objectionable, then a higher CYA level (i.e. 70-80 ppm) is not as important. It will help a little to let you have the SWG on-time a little lower when the pool is open to direct sunlight, but otherwise it's not critical.

The reason for the higher CYA needed for most SWG pools is that they are exposed to direct sunlight so the higher CYA reduces the chlorine usage due to breakdown from sunlight and that lets one turn down the SWG on-time which reduces the rate of pH rise, increases cell life, and reduces cost.

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"