New booster pump - electrical hum but no water movement

Dec 30, 2008
My ancient booster pump needed $100+ in repairs so I replaced it with a new Pentair LA01N and replaced the old flex hose and old wiring/conduit. When the new pump arrived the top cover had been knocked loose. Cap appeared fine so I just replaced the cover and tightened the screws.

I hooked it up, main pump is running, turn on the booster, then the booster makes a loud-ish hum for 2 seconds and reduces to a quiet hum. No apparent mechanical movement. I wait 5 seconds and turn it off.

I double-checked the wiring. Pump was set for 110v and my system is 230v so I switched the pump wires to correct that. Also verified that the relay is putting out 230v.

Start the pump now that it's set to 230v and same sound. Loud hum for 2 second followed by low hum, no water movement. Turn off after 5 seconds. I'm not sure what this pump is supposed to sound like, but the hum sounds like a motor with power that isn't turning.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

I don't have time to mess with it much more. I'd call a pool repair guy but I'm afraid he'll come out and go "yeah, it should work. Call Pentair" and then I've wasted another $100 with no fix. Haven't had the best of luck with pool repair. :\

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.