Pentair Whisperflo replacement

Aug 15, 2015
bakersfield ca
I have a Pentair Whisperflo 1hp model WFE-4 part number 011513 that is roughly 10 years old. I have a brand new pump of the same model. The old pump engine is shot. I am looking for the easiest way to swap the pumps out. It appears the plumbing will match up, but I will probably have to cut and replace some of it to perform the swap? My other question is, can I just remove the housing on the old pump (looks like 6 bolts) and bolt up the new one to avoid messing with any of the plumbing? Is it that simple? Just six bolts?

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 29
Typically with a swap like this you should be prepared for the following:
- Mounting the new pump to your base (should be fairly easy; different screw/bolt pattern not a big issue)
- Connecting your plumbing intake and outtake lines; take pics on your phone first before going to the store. Grab a couple threaded unions for easy assembly/disassembly later, some extra straight PVC, curves, etc, and of course PVC sealant.
- You'll probably need to attach a power cable to the new pump. If your old one is still in good shape, that may work. Or just use it as an example when you connect the new one.
- Might want to apply a fresh bead of silicone to the pump basket O-ring for that first start-up.

I can't think of anything else at this time though. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to save the old housing and match-up to the new one to save a step might work, but could be risky. Might still require a good seal between the old and new, even then, if it's that old, complete replacement might just be more practical.

Hi Smitty,
I would recommend replacing the whole thing. Even if you need to do a litle PVC work, its very easy. Especialy if you have Unions at the such and return sides on the pump.
Having said that, your existing plumbing should fit just fine since the pump models are the same.

If you consider replacing only the motor portion, then it may be that you will have to replace the some pump seals which is much more tedious than just doing some re-piping.

I'll be the dissenter on this one. 6 bolts are it, plus the electrical. If you have had any issues with leaks in the plumbing, then replace the whole pump. Using unions on the suction and discharge of the pump will make things much easier to work on in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.