Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing and replacing caulking around pool deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing and replacing caulking around pool deck

I have read most of the posts relating to this project.
    Removal: Tried a box cutter and realized that was going to be a month long project. Read on internet to use a carpet knife (hooked blade) worked better than box cutter, still too long too hard. That lead me to finding TFP. Wow. The multi-tool suggestion was terrific. That poster was correct to go to Harbor Freight or the other tool place saved over 70% instead of typical hardware store. The diamond tipped grout blade made it around the whole pool before being worn out.

First question, that post recommended using a stripping wheel vs. wire wheel to clean way residual caulk on edges. Curious why the wire is not best.
    Second, I have a portion of decking raised about 3/4" above pool tile. I am afraid self-leveling may not work here. Any suggestions? Vulkem 45 says it is semi-self leveling, might that work. There are caulks out there, but none recommend for pool use. I guess the chlorine is the problem. Can I use saran wrap on top of the caulk to help keep the angle needed to seal both sides?

The original foam seal is in sheet form and gunk stuck on top. I think I need to cut some of that away so I can smash backer rod on top.

They mention wide tape on each side. I guess it can be a messy job and that keeps the edges clean?
    15,000 gallon gunite built 1987. renovated whole pool decking and replastered about 10-12 years ago. Arlington, TX

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Removing and replacing caulking around pool deck

Not sure how to answer your questions, but it would be nice if you included a link to the thread you are referencing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Cullman, AL

Re: Removing and replacing caulking around pool deck

Can you post a photo?
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit