Autopilot Digital and bubbles

Richard_S

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
SW France
Hi all,

can anyone tell me if this is normal?

I have an Autopilot Digital providing Chlorine for the pool. For some time now, I have been getting bubbles coming out of one of the return nozzles in the pool. i thought at first that there must be an air leak somewhere in the piping, but various amounts of silicone sealant, smoke sticks and various other efforts to find the leak have come to nothing. What I eventually narrowed it down to was the pool pilot cell horse shoe....But still to no avail to stop the air coming in to the pool.

Finally I decided to disconnect the cell electrics and run the water through without producing chlorine....and voila, no bubbles anymore.

My question (after all this rambling); is it normal for the cell to produce "gases" along with Chlorine? Has anyone else experienced this?

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers,

R.

Worry if you stop seeing bubbles.

What happens inside the SWG is H20 + NaCl = H2 + NaOCl

Salt water plus electricity yields Hydrogen gas and Sodium Hypochlorite. If that sounds familiar, it's because that's bleach. Yep, you've got your own micro Clorox factory.

ahaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :rolleyes:

Wish more of my chemistry lessons had stuck, but makes perfect sense and if i'd have thought about it harder, I might well have come to the same conclusion....It's just rather foggy in the empty space that is my mind. The winners on this occasion are the silicone manufacturers who would have laughed if they could only have seen my efforts... Anyway, thanks for the help and relieved that I don't have a leak somewhere in the system!!

At the mo the pump is running at 2100rpm for approx 18hrs per day (8 at night and 10 during the day) at 75% to maintain 3ppm, as we have lots of sunlight here. I have tested the CYA which was at zero, so have upped this and am slowly working up the level in the hopes that the Chlorine will stick at around 4ppm and I can lower the SWG, although understand that the more CYA the less effective the Chlorine's ability to sanitize.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.