Every so often it just freezes up.

I got sick of Comcast autocalling me multiple times a day saying my old modem was not good enough to make use of the speed of my internet (50MB on promotion as the cheapest option) ... I was consistently getting 30MB which is more than enough for our needs.

So I upgraded to a new docsis3 cable modem .... and now I swear my internet is slower and more flaky :hammer:

Exactly what happened to me. AT&T pestered me for months to "upgrade" from 6mb Uverse to 18mb Uverse. Finally I said yes and it freezes more often and seems slower. But the speed test says it is faster so there is no problem. Hooray!

When I was having issues with uverse a couple of years back and got no where doing their home diagnostics they finally sent a tech guy out. He examined everything and told me uverse had upgraded their service and the my older equipment was not very compatible and would continue to cause problems until it was changed out. He ran new wires to each room and switched out the modem and it has worked fine ever since. I was irked it took so many calls to get someone to come fix something I had no control over, especially when they already knew what the problem was.

Luckily we do not get rain often. Because when we do, the internet stops working. Their lines must be in bad shape. Of course they can still claim 99+% up time :hammer:

I so wish there was another option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am convinced that the phone company is gonna get this all figured out. We get quite a bit of programming over our Centurylink DSL but no live TV yet. So far it is completely free but that will cahnge as more things become available.

Meanwhile, Comcast can kiss my cheek(s).

I'm waiting for the big change for all of us in California, Texas, and Florida that have Verizon as we just got our notice that Verizon is selling all land line business to Frontier early next year. TV, internet, and land line phones are all going to be Frontier. I have to say my internet has been flawless for the last 8 years or so and I get 75 Mbps download and upload.

...So I upgraded to a new docsis3 cable modem .... and now I swear my internet is slower and more flaky :hammer:

Cox kept telling me to upgrade to a docsis3 cable modem. Since I needed better range in the house, I upgraded w/ a new Motorola Surfboard. Fixed my range problem, but I can't tell that it made any difference in my internet speed. Can't see what benefits docsis3 provides.

Docsis3 is required for anything over about 30MB ... although rarely does anyone actually need such high speeds. Maybe when things start streaming 4k TV these higher speeds will be required.

Docsis3 has nothing to do with range in the house ... sounds like you just needed to upgrade your wireless router, not the cable modem. Of course now they sell them combined. I did not want to go that route. After all the older surfboarded I just stopped using was working fine after I have had it over 10 gears. But in that 10 years wireless has greatly improved. I know the modem should be good for a LONG time, but may want to upgrade the wireless or even the router itself again before a new cable modem will be needed.

While I'm not 100% sure what was going on there appears to be something that was slowing down TFP yesterday at about 7:30pm EST. For those whom reported this, it wasn't just you. :)

I'm keeping an eye on it for now and hope to pinpoint the cause.

Lee

I'm waiting for the big change for all of us in California, Texas, and Florida that have Verizon as we just got our notice that Verizon is selling all land line business to Frontier early next year. TV, internet, and land line phones are all going to be Frontier. I have to say my internet has been flawless for the last 8 years or so and I get 75 Mbps download and upload.
Frontier bought all of Verizon's rural holding a couple of years ago. Up until that point Verizon refused to do any upgrades near out mountain property to,provide DSL so all the neighbors were using Hughes Net satellite internet. When Frontier came in they upgraded the facilities and now DSL for everyone! I would say look to the Verizong to Frontier switch as a positive one.

sounds like you just needed to upgrade your wireless router, not the cable modem. Of course now they sell them combined. I did not want to go that route. After all the older surfboarded I just stopped using was working fine after I have had it over 10 gears. But in that 10 years wireless has greatly improved. I know the modem should be good for a LONG time, but may want to upgrade the wireless or even the router itself again before a new cable modem will be needed.
My range in the house has been slowing going down for a while, so,it,was time for an upgrade. As I didn't want to deal with Time Warner for an equipment swap I decided to go with an access point. I purchased a UniFi access point and set it up. I disabled the wifi in my combo router/wifi and use the UniFi. It doubled the range and if I want I can add additional UniFi access points to,extend the network. With multiple units they see each other and hand off the access as you move through the house. They even have a weatherproof unit for out by the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.