Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slow?

1. Back To Top    #1

Slow?

Is the forum slow today?
    Or is it my ridiculously over-priced and way under performing "high speed" Comcast gestapo internet service?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slow?

Three cheers for over-priced, slow internet service. Hip-hip, hooooooooooory.

I'm zipping along okay ... so far.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Seems to be working well up here in the NE via Cablevision
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

Every so often it just freezes up.

I got sick of Comcast autocalling me multiple times a day saying my old modem was not good enough to make use of the speed of my internet (50MB on promotion as the cheapest option) ... I was consistently getting 30MB which is more than enough for our needs.

So I upgraded to a new docsis3 cable modem .... and now I swear my internet is slower and more flaky
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

After a nightmare with Comcast here in Florida, I googled somewhat interested in suing them. The hits are amazing. Comcast is one bad company.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Exactly what happened to me. AT&T pestered me for months to "upgrade" from 6mb Uverse to 18mb Uverse. Finally I said yes and it freezes more often and seems slower. But the speed test says it is faster so there is no problem. Hooray!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Its probably COmcast. Im not having any problems at all.
    Last edited by Divin Dave; 08-15-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: edited to remove something I shouldnt have said!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

When I was having issues with uverse a couple of years back and got no where doing their home diagnostics they finally sent a tech guy out. He examined everything and told me uverse had upgraded their service and the my older equipment was not very compatible and would continue to cause problems until it was changed out. He ran new wires to each room and switched out the modem and it has worked fine ever since. I was irked it took so many calls to get someone to come fix something I had no control over, especially when they already knew what the problem was.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Luckily we do not get rain often. Because when we do, the internet stops working. Their lines must be in bad shape. Of course they can still claim 99+% up time

I so wish there was another option.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Jason,

Have you tried using DSLReports to find info on your issues with comcast? I find this is a nice place,Comcast HSI forum | DSLReports, ISP Information, to find a lot about all the issues these types of providers are having.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I am convinced that the phone company is gonna get this all figured out. We get quite a bit of programming over our Centurylink DSL but no live TV yet. So far it is completely free but that will cahnge as more things become available.

Meanwhile, Comcast can kiss my cheek(s).
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Seems fine to me. http://www.speedtest.net/ shows me at 25.54 Mbps download, 23.97 Mbps upload.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm waiting for the big change for all of us in California, Texas, and Florida that have Verizon as we just got our notice that Verizon is selling all land line business to Frontier early next year. TV, internet, and land line phones are all going to be Frontier. I have to say my internet has been flawless for the last 8 years or so and I get 75 Mbps download and upload.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    ...So I upgraded to a new docsis3 cable modem .... and now I swear my internet is slower and more flaky
    Cox kept telling me to upgrade to a docsis3 cable modem. Since I needed better range in the house, I upgraded w/ a new Motorola Surfboard. Fixed my range problem, but I can't tell that it made any difference in my internet speed. Can't see what benefits docsis3 provides.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

Docsis3 is required for anything over about 30MB ... although rarely does anyone actually need such high speeds. Maybe when things start streaming 4k TV these higher speeds will be required.

Docsis3 has nothing to do with range in the house ... sounds like you just needed to upgrade your wireless router, not the cable modem. Of course now they sell them combined. I did not want to go that route. After all the older surfboarded I just stopped using was working fine after I have had it over 10 gears. But in that 10 years wireless has greatly improved. I know the modem should be good for a LONG time, but may want to upgrade the wireless or even the router itself again before a new cable modem will be needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

While I'm not 100% sure what was going on there appears to be something that was slowing down TFP yesterday at about 7:30pm EST. For those whom reported this, it wasn't just you.

I'm keeping an eye on it for now and hope to pinpoint the cause.

Lee

17. Back To Top    #17

Maybe it was something on the served end?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I'm waiting for the big change for all of us in California, Texas, and Florida that have Verizon as we just got our notice that Verizon is selling all land line business to Frontier early next year. TV, internet, and land line phones are all going to be Frontier. I have to say my internet has been flawless for the last 8 years or so and I get 75 Mbps download and upload.
    Frontier bought all of Verizon's rural holding a couple of years ago. Up until that point Verizon refused to do any upgrades near out mountain property to,provide DSL so all the neighbors were using Hughes Net satellite internet. When Frontier came in they upgraded the facilities and now DSL for everyone! I would say look to the Verizong to Frontier switch as a positive one.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    sounds like you just needed to upgrade your wireless router, not the cable modem. Of course now they sell them combined. I did not want to go that route. After all the older surfboarded I just stopped using was working fine after I have had it over 10 gears. But in that 10 years wireless has greatly improved. I know the modem should be good for a LONG time, but may want to upgrade the wireless or even the router itself again before a new cable modem will be needed.
    My range in the house has been slowing going down for a while, so,it,was time for an upgrade. As I didn't want to deal with Time Warner for an equipment swap I decided to go with an access point. I purchased a UniFi access point and set it up. I disabled the wifi in my combo router/wifi and use the UniFi. It doubled the range and if I want I can add additional UniFi access points to,extend the network. With multiple units they see each other and hand off the access as you move through the house. They even have a weatherproof unit for out by the pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon