Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks, everyone! Just get the test kit already!

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks, everyone! Just get the test kit already!

I stumbled upon TFP like a lot of folks -- after getting a stubborn green pool.

While I definitely was sold on the system after the green pool started to clear up in literally minutes, I didn't fully commit to it because I didn't take the time to really understand it. So I'd wind up with a greenish pool just a couple weeks later, which I would easily clear with enough bleach. Not what this system is about.

I finally ordered TF-100 this year and committed to holding my FC up to the right levels based on the FC/CYA chart. It's been clear ever since.

The mistake I made about test kits was presuming that it was about being able to test for different chemicals and conditions (such as testing for CYA and CH). Since I had a kit that could test FC, CC, pH, and TA, I could just take it to the pool store for those occasions I needed to know CYA and CH.

Then I realized that the right test kit is not (just) about testing for more conditions, but about getting accurate, quality results. How could I possibly hold FC at 6ppm with a test kit that only measured up to 5, and even then just gave a range of 3-6? How could I maintain a shock level of 20ppm when, according to my test kit, 6ppm and 20ppm were indistinguishable.

Thanks, everybody, for the great advice and getting me on the right track. Now I'm looking forward to making a contribution.
    33k gallon, 40x20 IG Vinyl, Hayward sand filter, Hayward pump
    Hayward multiport valve, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks, everyone! Just get the test kit already!

Preach it!

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF100 is a GREAT kit! Did you get the Speedstir also? It turns you into the pic in Richard's post! REALLY! I just tested and I look like the crazy scientist dude.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your kind words! TFPC is all about the testing and the knowledge it gives you to take control of your pool. Every day we see pool owners who construct beautiful pools costing $25K or more who balk at the idea of spending $68 on a high quality test kit! I'm all for saving money but this is not the place to scrimp! I know the first time they walk into the pool store to get the "free expert testing and advice" they will walk out having spent far more than $68! Sadly the will probably go back several times before they decide to live with poor quality water.

For those out there who are not convinced, a high quality test kit is an investment in the life of your pool. Without a high quality test kit you risk damaging your pool with too low or too high CH, too low or too high pH, and risk your health with FC too low for the CYA level. Many of the "quick fix" algae solutions sold by pool stores contain copper which can stain light colored hair and plaster surfaces and the stains are difficult to remove.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

The TF-100.............obviously through our ACME distributor!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Excellent post!

TFP is all about teaching people how to care for their pool and keeping it sanitary and free of algae. We only promote adding chmicals that your pool needs. If you dont have a proper test kit, then you cant know what the pool parameters are, or determine what is needed.

You have passed the 1st requisite in now understanding the need for the test kit.

You are home free now. No more green pools and expensive chemicals for you!

Welcome to the world of Troube Free Pools!
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by njboater74 View Post
    I stumbled upon TFP like a lot of folks -- after getting a stubborn green pool.

While I definitely was sold on the system after the green pool started to clear up in literally minutes, I didn't fully commit to it because I didn't take the time to really understand it. So I'd wind up with a greenish pool just a couple weeks later, which I would easily clear with enough bleach. Not what this system is about.

I finally ordered TF-100 this year and committed to holding my FC up to the right levels based on the FC/CYA chart. It's been clear ever since.

The mistake I made about test kits was presuming that it was about being able to test for different chemicals and conditions (such as testing for CYA and CH). Since I had a kit that could test FC, CC, pH, and TA, I could just take it to the pool store for those occasions I needed to know CYA and CH.

Then I realized that the right test kit is not (just) about testing for more conditions, but about getting accurate, quality results. How could I possibly hold FC at 6ppm with a test kit that only measured up to 5, and even then just gave a range of 3-6? How could I maintain a shock level of 20ppm when, according to my test kit, 6ppm and 20ppm were indistinguishable.

Thanks, everybody, for the great advice and getting me on the right track. Now I'm looking forward to making a contribution.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad to see you "saw the light". Your will love that TF-100. Enjoy your weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!