VS Pump Suction, Discharge, and Air Bubblest

Jul 2, 2015
Parsippany, NJ
Hello TroubleFree,

looking for some help in diagnosing air bubbles in my VS Pentair Intelliflo 3HP pump strainer basket. There is a pretty steady air bubble that is present under normal operation regardless of speed that has been present since installation. I attempted to check the new plumbing by pouring water over all joints to see if air disappeared but was unsuccessful. The interesting thing is thing is that I recently went to discharge water from pool via waste outlet on multi port and during this operation no air bubble.

normal filter operation... Suction 5 psi. Discharge 15 psi... Filter 15 psi
waste operation... Suction 10 psi... Discharge 10 psi

all lines in pool are 1.5" but I upgraded to 2" on the equipment pad. Running pump at 2350 rpm

Do do I actually have a leak on suction?

Welcome to TFP!

Is air filling the filter?
Is air entering the pool?
Or do you just see a bubble sitting at the top off the pump lid? This is not uncommon, especially when running at lower speeds.

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

very little to no air in filter when bleeding
no air bubbles in return jets
just see a bubble in filter basket, but was unsure why i get a higher suction and no air bubble when put in waste. I did the plumbing myself so wanted to make sure there were no leaks that I need to address.

so you think it's fine?

On waste, you are just able to achieve a higher flow rate which clears the bubble out of the pump.
If you are not getting a build-up in the filter or seeing a lot of small bubbles spinning around the pump, you are likely fine.

My IntelliFlo usually has a few bubbles sitting on top of the strainer basket caught in the "spider-web" of the lid and everything appears to be working well. My pump primes in under 10 seconds regardless.

I'm sleeping fine at night with it. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.