Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi everyone. New pool owner here.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi everyone. New pool owner here.

I bought a house with a pool because my 3 years old daughter loves swimming. Never owned a house never owned a pool before. I was more like I pay HOA let managment take care of everything kinda guy but I guess I have to change now. My sparkling pool became green swamp because we moved in late due to some issues with a contrator. So the pool was ababdoned for about 3 weeks with solar cover up. So I hired a pool guu to shock the pool.
    So far water got cleared but green stain is all over the plaster bottom and would not come off.
    My pool guy is recommending copper, said something like I have some plaster damage but algae is gone copper will oxidoze it. Whatever that means I am trying to avoid using colpper. I am dying to know what that green stain is and how to get rid of it.
    anyway, I will be posting a lot of questions since I don't have a slightlest clue on how to maintain the pool.
    thank you very much in advance.
    13k gal / IG / plaster / DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi everyone. New pool owner here.

Welcome to TFP

We can help but some questions first. How are you maintaining the pool?

Can we get test results, preferably from a TF 100 or equivalent test kit?

Can we get pictures?

Will the stain brush off?

Have you tried holding a chlorine puck against it for a couple of minutes and see what that does?

That's a start. Others will be along in the morning with more questions and advice.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

I post the problem about couple days ago in different section of the forum. I just realized we have a section for introduction so I wrote the post. I am ordering the test kit and I hired a guy just to clear the pool this time. He is not hired for routine maintanance. He will sign off once he declares the pool is back to normal.

- - - Updated - - -

And it does not brush off the plaster. I have not tried the chlorine puck.
    13k gal / IG / plaster / DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

I would be very leery of anyone who recommends copper.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.