Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering TA

FC 5
    CC .5
    Ph 7.2-7.4
    TA 175

How do I get my TA down to the normal range??

25x16 rectangular in ground pool with vinyl liner (14,000 gal). Sta-Rite sand filter. 1HP single speed Max-E-Pro pump. Pool owner since 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering TA

Here you go: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Let us know if you need help figuring it out!

How are your wrinkles, btw?

3. Back To Top    #3

Acid is needed to lower your TA. However, it'll also effect your pH.

This will take some time and patience due to the double-effect Muriatic Acid has on both your pH AND TA.

Lower your TA with acid and then aerate your pool to help raise the pH back up. In fact, I'd aerate NOW or set up to aerate somehow and work on raising your pH.

When the pH is nice and high (7.8 - 8.0 ish), you can hit it with acid.

Well, I guess the link is echoing what I'm telling you. LOL!

You may wish to 'work on' figuring out a good way to aerate your pool. I made myself a PVC 'rack' (2" PVC filled with sand) in which I wrapped a soaker hose around and then hooked my air compressor to the soaker hose to create some serious bubble action. If you can get a good aeration program down, you can make this go a bit faster but it will take a couple weeks.

What is the TA of your fill water? A water change could possibly help.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

If your pH isn't rising and your CH isn't high, you could just leave the TA where it is. It's not required to lower the TA to the Recommended Levels range unless you have a potential scaling problem (i.e. pH and/or CH also run high) or your pH tends to rise and you have to add acid regularly to keep it down.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

What are your calcium and cyanuric acid levels?

What do you use for chlorine?

6. Back To Top    #6

My ph does rise every couple weeks and I lower with acid. CH is within normal range. CYA is high...90. Are there potential issues that can arise due to high TA? Wrinkles are still there.

25x16 rectangular in ground pool with vinyl liner (14,000 gal). Sta-Rite sand filter. 1HP single speed Max-E-Pro pump. Pool owner since 2013.