Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Odor Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Odor Question

My pool is running fantastically, no odors at all. However, I have a curiosity question. To make a bad pun, something I continue to read here just doesn't pass the sniff test. What's at issue is the assertion that the chlorine smell is caused by chloramines, not chlorine. If that's true, why does bleach have the same, though much more concentrated smell? Surely, there are no chloramines in bleach?

Not looking to cause trouble, but this doesn't make any sense to me.
    32,500 Gal. IG Vinyl Pool, DE Filter, 2 Hp Haywood Pump, Booster Pump for Polaris, Biogard SWG. TF-100 Test Kit w/ Supplemental Borate Test Strips.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Odor Question

Because it reacts with stuff in your nose and creates chloramines I think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What jason said, if you carefully sniff bleach you will get a fresh smell followed by a bit of the chloramine smell which is the FC from the bleach reacting with the mucus in your nasal passages to form CC.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Fresh Bleach barely has a hint of Chlorine smell.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys, that makes sense, and is not something I would have considered. I keep learning new stuff on this site
    32,500 Gal. IG Vinyl Pool, DE Filter, 2 Hp Haywood Pump, Booster Pump for Polaris, Biogard SWG. TF-100 Test Kit w/ Supplemental Borate Test Strips.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's not quite as simple as chlorine has no smell. Chlorine does in fact have a smell even if not reacting with any ammonia in your nose to form monochloramine. The odor threshold for both are fairly low and your nose has chemical detectors for chlorine chemicals, not just for monochloramine. As noted in this link and this link, the odor and taste thresholds for various chlorine compounds are as follows:

Chemical ................. Odor ....... Taste
    Hypochlorous Acid ... 0.28 mg/L .. 0.24 mg/L
    Hypochlorite Ion ...... 0.36 mg/L .. 0.30 mg/L
    Monochloramine ...... 0.65 mg/L .. 0.48 mg/L
    Dichloramine ........... 0.15 mg/L .. 0.13 mg/L
    Nitrogen Trichloride ... 0.02 mg/L ... ?

Chlorinating liquid and bleach have very high hypochlorite ion concentrations (50,000+ mg/L) so it is not at all surprising that they are readily detected in concentrated form though the amount of such gas that can be emitted is limited since it is a charged ion. The concentration of hypochlorous acid in 8.25% bleach is roughly 2.3 mg/L while in 12.5% it is roughly 0.8 mg/L (it's less because the pH is higher at 12.5 compared to 11.9 for the 8.25% bleach). So even if no hypochlorite ion were outgassed, you would still smell the hypochlorous acid, but it wouldn't be nearly as strong as what you currently smell from hypochlorite ion.

In pools at the minimum FC/CYA level (7.5% ratio) at a pH near 7.5 the hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite ion concentrations are each around 0.03 mg/L so would generally not be detected. However, the above thresholds are for still water whereas churning the water to volatize the chlorine in the water can certainly get concentrations high enough in air that one can faintly smell the chlorine, mostly of hypochlorous acid.

This business of "you can't smell chlorine" and "if you can smell chlorine, then it's really chloramine and you need to handle that in your pool" are extrapolated truths mostly coming from the far more extreme situations in high bather-load pools where higher chloramine levels are really producing more dichloramine and very irritating and smelly nitrogen trichloride. These are the "bad pool smell" associated with improperly managed pools especially those with high bather loads. If the chlorine level is too low in such pools then one can build up organic precursors such as urea or build up monochloramine, but what is more likely to happen is that the chlorine level is then raised and reacts with the urea that has built up and that ends up producing the very nasty nitrogen trichloride. However, if the active chlorine level is too high, then this also produces more nitrogen trichloride from chlorine oxidation of ammonia and related compounds. So too much chlorine isn't good either. Managing this using chlorine alone requires elevating the chlorine level at night when no one is in the pool and aerating the water or at least having strong air currents to remove the disinfection by-products before lowering the chlorine level again for the start of the next day. Using non-chlorine techniques would be better with supplemental oxidation or coagulation/filtration to remove organic precursors.

I think far too much emphasis is placed on "chlorine smell" in residential pools. In some cases where you have higher bather-loads or you have indoor pools with no UV exposure (or UV systems) you can end up with too much urea and get nitrogen trichloride smell, but it doesn't necessarily mean your chlorine level was too low. It just means you are trying to have chlorine oxidize more than it can reasonably handle on its own and one should consider supplemental oxidation systems (e.g. ozone, UV) or enzymes, but for outdoor residential pools these should not normally be necessary. A "clean bleach-like smell" when churning the water in a pool does not mean there is a problem. It's normal. Now when you get out of a pool and you smell your skin then you are likely smelling monochloramine plus maybe some other chloramines because chlorine will continue to react with ammonia from your sweat when you leave the pool and chlorine reacts with ammonia to form monochloramine in under a minute (at our usual FC/CYA levels).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

chem geek, you simply amaze me.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, but I see that in this post I showed the same data but from a different source, though made some of the same points. Too bad I forgot about it -- I should have searched first.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

All I know, is I've opened many, many drums of 12% and there is never a smell. Barely detectable to me even with a newly opened bottle of bleach. The odor is so faint it's barely detectable. To me anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

I love threads like this!!

And I say we collect a voluntary donation to establish a $10,000 book advance fund with a "Draft Chemgeek" campaign for the purposes of cajoling him to write a book! Then TFP can shop it around to publishers. Just a thought.....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Richard is an invaluable member of this forum, let's not burn him out with book writing duties.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Joy and Chem could collaborate.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    And I say we collect a voluntary donation to establish a $10,000 book advance fund with a "Draft Chemgeek" campaign for the purposes of cajoling him to write a book! Then TFP can shop it around to publishers. Just a thought.....
    I was thinking the same thing a month ago.

I hope there is someway that Richard can collect all of his posts and form them into a book so all this knowledge and research can easily be found. I was thinking it should be called something like, "The Pool Bible by Chem Geek".
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Or "Pools Are Easy, Here's How and Why"
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Or "Pools Are Easy, Here's How and Why"
    If telling people that bleach is just liquid chlorine, just do a FAS/DPD test to figure out how much to add boggles people's minds, unfortunately I don't think a book full of explanations on Chem Geeks level will help convince people of the simplicity :-O
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

16. Back To Top    #16

More like "A Dummies Guide To Pool Water Chemistry".

I'll get the Kickstarter campaign going and track down some publishing houses, you all wrestle Richard to the ground and chain him to a desk and typewriter

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

You mean he isn't already? We better hurry before he gets away.