Pool pump shorts the breaker, light does not

May 24, 2010
New Engalnd
I have a pool pump and light for the ingroud pool going into the same box, with two seperate toggles to turn each off. these connect to the main breaker via under ground to the house. the light toggle does not reset the switch on the main breaker. When i try to turn on the pool pump, it trips on the main breaker. Any ideas on how to problem solve this?

THanks!

The current draw of the pump is higher than your breaker can hold. Either that current draw is high or the breaker is old and worn out. Can you use an ammeter? Can you change a breaker...SAFELY?

Is the pump running on 120 or 240V
Pool Light 12V or 120V
Breaker Amperage

Personally I wouldn't operate my light and pump on the same circuit, it should be broken down further to another sub panel, especially if your light is 120V
If your light is 120V it should be GFCI protected
The starting amperage of a 1.5 HP pump will be around 14A and the light around 5A.
A 20A Circuit will be just sufficient enough for perfect circumstances, but nothing is perfect especially as your motor ages
Most likely a bad motor
Does the motor hum
Is the motor hot

When describing electrical systems it is easier if we follow the.flow of electric.

You have a breaker in the main panel in the house that feeds power to two switches out near the pool. These branch off and one goes to the pump and the other goes to the light...correct? If the circuit going to the pump is causing the breaker to trip then there is something wrong with either the wiring going to the pump or a problem with the motor. If you could post some pictures showing the wiring and the connections it may be a big help to us. By the way the wiring description, you have, sounds, there may be some issues with the wiring that may need to be addressed

I replaced the light switch for the pump (left switch in photo) and i heard the motor hm then tripped. I should note that the pump is about 4-5 years old and the wiring is older. I was away for about 3 days and came home to turn on the pump and now I am with the issues I have today. So it wasnt like i left it running and it is covered (in shed) etc.. not sure what gives so sudddenly.

i called the store i bought the poop pump from. He said that in the back of the motor, if there are any lines exposed(worn or cracked insulation), that i could put electrical tape around it. He also said the motors on pumps have potential to go at 5 years. I checked the back of the motor and the lines look in good condition (insulation seems to to cover as necessary). Any chance my motor is burned after 5 years? I run it pretty frequently, for the first few years, before i really understood chemical balances, I ran it often 24/7 for most days per week June-sept. In the past 2 years I've run it during the day or just at night. Sometimes running 24/7 when shocking. Could a motor go after 5 years?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well Matt, I know just enough electricity basics to make myself dangerous. :) But a couple things to consider following your last couple posts:
- Pump ran fine before you came back home and replaced the switch. Any chance you have the connections backwards? (hot vs. neutral on the switch?)
- Is that switch rated properly for the amperage? Not all of those simple light switches are rated the same - too much heat perhaps?
- 5 years service life for a pump; not unreasonable considering how much it was ran; it could've just gave-up
- If you knew of an electrical shop nearby, you could possibly ask them to do a bench-check for you; however by the time you go through all of that; it may be just as economical to replace the whole unit.

Just some thoughts. :)

the pump was running before i was away for 3 days. Before i left, I shut it off. came home after 3 days and it wouldnt fire back up. i replaced the switch and it hms for 1-2 seconds then trips the breaker. I'm beginning to wonder if the motor isnt just fried. I just want to exhaust all potential circumstances before i have it replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.